□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What makes for a bullet proof engine?

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:35 am

e3steve wrote:Jensen writes with perfect sense and I agree with his and all the above replies entirely. My contribution: I intend trying to find a single- or two-row oil cooler to fit to my CB during this winter's rebuild. I'm thinking that it should be fitted below the starter motor and piped into the scavenge (return) oilway, as there's probably insufficient pressure to usefully push oil any higher. A cooler will assist the oil in retaining its viscosity during its time in the crankcasings, thus increasing the lubricant's useful lifespan. It should still be changed at ±1k miles.

I'll keep you posted regarding any findings and obviously I'll ask for constructive comments.
Sounds interesting. Definitely post up pics along the way. I'd love to see how this turns out.

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

bullet proof motor

Post by bikedoctor99 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:25 pm

oil cooler, a very smart idea and a helpful aid to elongation of oil life under stressful conditions. in 1970 we used corvair coolers (aluminun- better heat transfer) on our road race cb77's and my race cb160, they were mounted in place of the starters and worked fine- no problems. follow the replies, plenty of enthusiastic expertise and you'll enjoy your dependable ride!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:00 am

I'm not about to discourage anyone from making modifications, but under normal use an oil cooler is not needed. My Aussie CB72 350 racer was ridden hard (not so hard around corners but that's a different story) and our CB175 based racers used to run an oil temperature gauge. We found that oil gets hot but never exceeded limits.

I have a CB72 Oil cooler conversion I bought from Dave Richter over 20 years ago and never got around to fitting it. I wonder where I put it. It was a clever adaptation of the small round cover rather than breaking into the oilways on the main clutch cover. Just as easy to do and cheaper to reverse.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:02 am

Teazer, that sounds like a simple modification, but I like that cover as it is. I'm looking for a small, unobtrusive cooler that I can plumb in with a couple of HELs or Aeroquips; I don't mind getting some spare casings and playing with them.

I'm more interested in increasing the oil capacity to aid cooling of the motor, more than just cooling the oil a bit -- that is just an advantageous bi-product.

Thanks for the info!

goudreignet
honda305.com Member

Post by goudreignet » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:12 pm

cyclon36

the best thing i have found for rebuilding my cb77 engine where the books from mr.silver
all the mods/tips/how to, fore building a good engine are there.

the books helped me a lot, and i have now a sweet reliable cb

fred.nl

305racer
honda305.com Member

Post by 305racer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:33 pm

e3steve wrote:Teazer, that sounds like a simple modification, but I like that cover as it is. I'm looking for a small, unobtrusive cooler that I can plumb in with a couple of HELs or Aeroquips; I don't mind getting some spare casings and playing with them.

I'm more interested in increasing the oil capacity to aid cooling of the motor, more than just cooling the oil a bit -- that is just an advantageous bi-product.

Thanks for the info!

There are several 2 core cooler on the market. I have seen them in various Brit bike catalogs like MAP and British Cyle Supply. Sure you could find the equivlant in the UK which would be cheaper than shipping from this side of the pond.
georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida
AHRMA #500 Road Race
#G50 Cross Country

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:24 pm

I've found one that will fit under the starter and easily clears the headers. Looks quite nice too. Whatever I fit must be discreet so as to blend in and not to detract from the overall design. John Duggan fitted one to his CB77 before selling it on eBay; I'm sure it would've been efficient but it was too in-ya-face.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home