Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

honda CL-72 Engine tope end gasket kit- does it wk on CL-77

shodan
honda305.com Member

honda CL-72 Engine tope end gasket kit- does it wk on CL-77

Post by shodan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:09 pm

I have my Honda cl-77, 305, 1967 year , top end off,honed cylinders,ground valves, I have a new std set of rings.The end gap is within tolerance. So---- instead of using a big bore piston with the top end gaskets. This set of gaskets has a thick copper head gasket, which a Honda mecanic says will not work due to thickness the compressoon will be too low and the valve guide o rings will not squish down.

I am going to rebuild using a standard gasket set. Here is my question I have an unopened cl72 top end gasket set---- will it work for the cl-77, as far as I can tell it looks the same?

My saved gasket kit is for a cl or cb 72, will that work for my 305 Cl 77 the kit is part number 06110-268-010. Honda kit. do not want to open it unless it works , someone else could use it.

My other gasket kit came with a a big bore piston(s-12) and the kit has a thick copper gasket and the Honda Dealer mechanic told me that it would lower the compression , and the valve guide seals o rings would not squish down. Also friends told me the 2.00 over piston would take too much sleeve material off and I would not like it for heat transfer reasons?

I am doing this rebuild for the first time so any help would be appreciated.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: honda CL-72 Engine tope end gasket kit- does it wk on C

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:27 am

The engine will require a 305 head gasket. Most of the other parts in the kit will fit.
The 250 head gasket has a cylinder area hole that is to small for the 305 and the piston will hit the metal part of the gasket. ............lm
shodan wrote:I have my Honda cl-77, 305, 1967 year , top end off,honed cylinders,ground valves, I have a new std set of rings.The end gap is within tolerance. So---- instead of using a big bore piston with the top end gaskets. This set of gaskets has a thick copper head gasket, which a Honda mecanic says will not work due to thickness the compressoon will be too low and the valve guide o rings will not squish down.

I am going to rebuild using a standard gasket set. Here is my question I have an unopened cl72 top end gasket set---- will it work for the cl-77, as far as I can tell it looks the same?

My saved gasket kit is for a cl or cb 72, will that work for my 305 Cl 77 the kit is part number 06110-268-010. Honda kit. do not want to open it unless it works , someone else could use it.

My other gasket kit came with a a big bore piston(s-12) and the kit has a thick copper gasket and the Honda Dealer mechanic told me that it would lower the compression , and the valve guide seals o rings would not squish down. Also friends told me the 2.00 over piston would take too much sleeve material off and I would not like it for heat transfer reasons?

I am doing this rebuild for the first time so any help would be appreciated.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home