Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Possibly the last pics....

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Phil, yes, they are. I think I got them for US$50 plus shipping, back in '08. I've not pulled them apart (yet) but I'll be happy to attempt what you're suggesting; I still have my OEMs in the garage. I bought them as CB failed the inspection on dodgy front wheel bearings and a bouncy arse end, so I figured I had little to lose at that price. Got the new, sealed wheel bearings for €15 the pair from a local bearing & seal (not the aquatic or singing variety) supplier.

They ride fine, AFAICT. I never carry a pillion, but I weigh-in at 92kg / 200lbs and I do run them on the hardest setting. Majorcan roads are notoriously unflat and probably almost as crap as the UK's roads are after last winter there. No idea how that sort of surface compares to those in the States, though.

I'll see if I can find who I got them from and you can bid him in the nuts.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Steve, good on ya for taking the grinding so well! Unless you're stuck on vintage looking rubber, the Avon road riders are excellent tires. The grip level is quite high, and these little bike don't wear them quickly at all.
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

phactory
honda305.com Member

Post by phactory » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Steve,

They've got to be better than the clapped out stockers on my bike! Yeah let me know if the stock covers will fit.

Thanks, Phil

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:58 am

davomoto wrote:Steve, good on ya for taking the grinding so well! Unless you're stuck on vintage looking rubber, the Avon road riders are excellent tires. The grip level is quite high, and these little bike don't wear them quickly at all.
Gotta take it on the chin when the truth is spoken, Dave! The last time I fell off a bike I was 16 ('71); twice within 5 weeks, both times through grabbing the front brake mid-bend -- the same (quiet) narrow bend but from different approaches -- and both times coming face-to-face with other users on my bit of road! Didn't stop me laying it well-over, post-accidents, but it did stop me from grabbing the brakes, mid-bend (well, you would hope so, wouldn't you?).

I've been putting much work into this CB so I really don't want to drop it.

The perceptive among us will see AM winkers (lamps, at least), seat, rear shocks, control cables, horn and beam unit. Sorry; needs-must situation!

I'm still making mental notes regarding tyres, so thanks for the tip regarding the Avons. I do read much good about Roadriders, so your comments are endorsement to that. I'm remembering a chum's Black Bomber, from the '71-biking era, that was Roadrunner-shod and was a real handful in the wet; consequently, I'm a bit (unfairly) wary of Avon rubber.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:38 am

phactory wrote:Steve,

They've got to be better than the clapped out stockers on my bike! Yeah let me know if the stock covers will fit.

Thanks, Phil
Phil, I de-constructed my OEMs yesterday. The top cover -- mine have the plastic type -- is about 40mm longer than the chrome one on the AM shocks.

I've not attempted to disassemble the AMs as yet, but there are no collets visible. Perhaps there's some kind of concealed retainer that gets revealed once the top cover is compressed away from the upper eye; we'll see, in due course.

There are shocks on eBay, right now, with black, blue or red top covers as well as the all-chrome type. Worth a look? Even if the coloured ones aren't the right shade they could be prepped and overpainted, I'm sure. Food for thought?

Rgds, Steve
Attachments
Rear shocks.jpg

e3steve
h305 Moderator

The little adventure.....

Post by e3steve » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:16 am

...continues, updated as of today's date here, if anyone's interested....

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home