Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

winkers

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
chrisnoel
honda305.com Member

CB350 signals.

Post by chrisnoel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:16 am

Considering if what blinkers I should purchase for my CB77 I think the CB350 would be the best donor as well. Similar short post signals were found on the CB750 in early 1969 but became awkwardly long after that. I see some nice compact signals were provided in a factory kit on honda's parts list for the CB77 but I bet I'll strike out searching for those in a hurry. Found some compact signals on Fleabay out of Thialand but they are not wired through the mounting stem. Puts them in the cheap dud category I think.

chrisnoel
honda305.com Member

Spare wires.

Post by chrisnoel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Found spare orange and light blue wires in the harness for the blinkers and a grey wire for the relay. Bonus!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:48 am

Bargain, Chris! You'll find the black (+12v ign) and the other end of the grey (relay-to-switch-centre) exits the main harness somewhere around the fwd end of the battery location.

chrisnoel
honda305.com Member

Black wire.

Post by chrisnoel » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:37 am

I've had the harness unwraped compleetly and determined that I'll have to tap into the black neer the ignition switch. Black seems to feed every light on the bike as well as the horn and solonoid. Looking forward I'll need a rectifier. Is thier a brand or type that would work best? I see no regulator at all in this system so I don't want to get the wrong type. I suppose it would be better to ride with the lights off rather than try to cook up some way to wire in a regulator.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Re: Black wire.

Post by e3steve » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:31 pm

chrisnoel wrote:I've had the harness unwraped compleetly and determined that I'll have to tap into the black neer the ignition switch. Black seems to feed every light on the bike as well as the horn and solonoid. Looking forward I'll need a rectifier. Is thier a brand or type that would work best? I see no regulator at all in this system so I don't want to get the wrong type. I suppose it would be better to ride with the lights off rather than try to cook up some way to wire in a regulator.
I don't understand why a loom would have left/right/switch-centre but no ignition supply to the flasher relay. FYI: with the l/bl, or & gy present (in the headlamp bucket) then the other end of the gy should be where I previously mentioned (along with a black); you should also find a l/bl & or near the taillight connectors (aft of the battery cradle).

Most (US-based) modifiers here seem to favour the 25-Amp bridge rectifier from radio Shack; the 25-Amp will run less hot than a 15-Amp, but you'll still need to bolt it to a heat sink.

A healthy charging system, with a modern solid-state rectifier, is perfectly adequate and needs no regulator. I ride with my lights on, constantly; I have winkers (2 x 23W) and a compact air-horn. I always use the electric starter -- my k/s pawl is screwed -- and most of my rides are short (<15 miles). I'm using a Motobatteries' MB9U AGM 11Ah battery. Look back through some of my posts and others' responses regarding the topic of 'charging improvements'; this topic also has some interesting contributions.

chrisnoel
honda305.com Member

My harness.

Post by chrisnoel » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 am

My harness has been quite molested. Not too bad to save but defenitely needed some sympathetic attention. Someone had moved the grey lead down to the foot pedal switch and the blue lead for the foot pedal was in the rectifier boot. remedied that mess and wraped everything back up with the grey hanging out so I can access it for the relay. Harness A had the fuze removed and the leads twisted together. Once I get into puting the bike back together I'll probably have to run new leads all together for a new fuze. Thanks for the tips on the rectifier. I'll defenitely check out your thread.

chrisnoel
honda305.com Member

Rectifier.

Post by chrisnoel » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Might need a part # to get a rectifier or heat sink from radio shack. The clerks always scratch thier heads and try to sell me a tv antena when I ask for anything technical. I did find a 25Amp rectifier 50V that I'll try to see if they have at the store.
Attachments
rectifier.jpg
rectifier.jpg (4.51 KiB) Viewed 2796 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home