Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

No spark on right side

AdamKosecki
honda305.com Member

No spark on right side

Post by AdamKosecki » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:38 am

Hi,

A week ago I was teaching a friend to ride. He was kind enough to lay down my scrambler at a wild 10mph. The damage was minimal, a cracked gearshift and bent front fender. I put a new gearshift on today, cut up the fender (it looks hot, I'll post some pics), and stomped down on the kick start - nothing. It doesn't start. Oh god.

I pulled the plugs and held them to the sides of the engine... no spark on the right. Swap L/R plugs, same thing. What could this be? I'm going to start by checking that the right plug wire is still securely attached, but after that I'm afraid I'm slightly lost.

Am I correct to assume that my points are fine as I have spark on the left? AH! Suggestions please!

Thank you,
Adam
"How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzzi?"

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: No spark on right side

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:52 am

[What bike do you have.
Most of these bikes have 2 sets of points and if yours does it is a good place to look. ......lm

A week ago I was teaching a friend to ride. He was kind enough to lay down my scrambler at a wild 10mph. The damage was minimal, a cracked gearshift and bent front fender. I put a new gearshift on today, cut up the fender (it looks hot, I'll post some pics), and stomped down on the kick start - nothing. It doesn't start. Oh god.

I pulled the plugs and held them to the sides of the engine... no spark on the right. Swap L/R plugs, same thing. What could this be? I'm going to start by checking that the right plug wire is still securely attached, but after that I'm afraid I'm slightly lost.

Am I correct to assume that my points are fine as I have spark on the left? AH! Suggestions please!

Thank you,
Adam[/quote]

AdamKosecki
honda305.com Member

Post by AdamKosecki » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Oh! Sorry, it's a '66 CL77 Scrambler
"How much did you pay for your bad Moto Guzzi?"

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:39 pm

Do check the points for that side. .........lm
AdamKosecki wrote:Oh! Sorry, it's a '66 CL77 Scrambler

cbxmountainman
honda305.com Member

No Spark On Right Side

Post by cbxmountainman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:48 pm

Check the wires on your coil to make sure one isn't broken. Condensor may have picked this time to go south. Plug cap may have come loose from the wire. You can remove the point cover, turn the key on rotate the engine until the points close. You can check for fire with a screwdriver by opening/closing the points. If you then have fire, then simply reset the points to proper gap, I think it's .18 or so, don't quote meon this, Ed Moore's tuneup info works great. Charlie

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home