Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Got it running today!

rampelsauce
honda305.com Member

Got it running today!

Post by rampelsauce » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Hey all. I just put some fuel to my Dream today and the thing purred like a kitten. No timing chain slap, no cam clicks, just a smooth and even idle. Not bad for two days work! However, my fuel tank is trashed and my petcock valve is junk. The bottom of the tank must have had water sitting in it all these years, and its swiss cheese down there. So Im going to go ahead and fiber glass the bottom and seal it with some cor-15 just to have a good tank to run with. But I am looking for a rust free tank with out the chrome side panels (mine are near perfect) Well, this is my update. Oh yeah, I need to get the year of my bike figured out too.

Engine# : CA77E-1012932
Frame # : CA78-1012874

Wait, wait! I forgot, I need to find a place to get some reasonable priced tires/tubes.

Uh, sorry, just one more thing I swear. I have oil running out from the bottom screw beneath my timing plate. Im really confused, but I figure it has to be a seal. Okay, Im done. Thanks for reading!
Attachments
Dream2.JPG
Dream1.JPG

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Got it running today!

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:55 pm

May I suggest ya use J. B. Weld rather than fiber glass on the tank.
May/could be the seal behind the points plate as when they are old they will/do leak.
Not a difficult replacement. .........lm

rampelsauce wrote:Hey all. I just put some fuel to my Dream today and the thing purred like a kitten. No timing chain slap, no cam clicks, just a smooth and even idle. Not bad for two days work! However, my fuel tank is trashed and my petcock valve is junk. The bottom of the tank must have had water sitting in it all these years, and its swiss cheese down there. So Im going to go ahead and fiber glass the bottom and seal it with some cor-15 just to have a good tank to run with. But I am looking for a rust free tank with out the chrome side panels (mine are near perfect) Well, this is my update. Oh yeah, I need to get the year of my bike figured out too.

Engine# : CA77E-1012932
Frame # : CA78-1012874

Wait, wait! I forgot, I need to find a place to get some reasonable priced tires/tubes.

Uh, sorry, just one more thing I swear. I have oil running out from the bottom screw beneath my timing plate. Im really confused, but I figure it has to be a seal. Okay, Im done. Thanks for reading!

rampelsauce
honda305.com Member

Post by rampelsauce » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:04 pm

JB Weld is great stuff, I will give you that. But I have large areas to patch. My gas tank is holier than the pope! haha. And I didnt do an exploratory into the leak yet, I just wanted to get some opinions on what it "could" be. Thanks for reading though! Oh, heres a bonus, this is the old Ford 4000 fully restored. She's a beauty.
Attachments
ford.JPG

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Not exactly a MC but OK.
J. B. Weld will be cheap as it will repair the tank (tap the metal down) for good.
I've reclaimed several tanks that required more than one application and as the repair is the best (in my opinion) ya can do tis worth the $$$. ...........lm

rampelsauce wrote:JB Weld is great stuff, I will give you that. But I have large areas to patch. My gas tank is holier than the pope! haha. And I didnt do an exploratory into the leak yet, I just wanted to get some opinions on what it "could" be. Thanks for reading though! Oh, heres a bonus, this is the old Ford 4000 fully restored. She's a beauty.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:47 am

Love that tractor. I used to drive one of those. Great 3 cyl engine butbvery noisy.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:47 am

Love that tractor. I used to drive one of those. Great 3 cyl engine but very noisy.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

rampelsauce
honda305.com Member

Post by rampelsauce » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:31 pm

G-Man wrote:Love that tractor. I used to drive one of those. Great 3 cyl engine but very noisy.

G
Noisy & a bit shaky, but does the job like none other. One of the greatest work horses Ford ever produced.

Back on topic, can anyone help identify the year of my bike with the engine and frame #'s?

Loud Mouse- I know that JB Weld is one of the greatest substances known to man (Right up there with WD-40 and Methyl Ethyl Keytone), but I can fit my hand thru these holes. I mean, its huge. I was going to weld in patch work, but right now the shop is low on donor sheet metal. I figured I would go with the fiberglass solution, because the two part epoxy is fuel resistant. On top of that, I have glass and goop on hand. And since my petcock was destroyed, Im using just a simple on off switch and putting a generous in line fuel filter on it (the clear type, because I like seeing whats in my gas). This is all temporary, of course, until I find my new tank with a nice petcock. My tank isnt a big loss anyway, the thing looks like someone just discovered bondo when the got their hands on it.

Anyhow, Im going to stop rambling on. Thanks everyone!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home