honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My $250 dollar Dream (with compression!)

rampelsauce
honda305.com Member

My $250 dollar Dream (with compression!)

Post by rampelsauce » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:44 pm

I posted this originally in the wrong section. Im new, dont mind me, I will only screw up fifty more times.

Im new, always wanted a dream since I got into old japanese bikes. I happened across my new baby when I was looking around at a guys place who was selling old misc shop stuff. He said, the owner wants 300, but I can do 270 for you. Well, I hemmed and hawed, and got him down to 250. I got it back to the house, and me and my dad started looking at it in great detail. Not only was the thing complete, but in amazing condition. That afternoon, we went thru the electrical and patched some chewed up wires, and decided we should hook it up to a 12 volt battery. The lights worked. We were already giddy with the glory of a great buy, but this made me almost wet my trousers. Then I just figured I would hit the starter button. Thats about when I almost passed out. The starter spins, and it has compression.

Please dont hate me for my bargain, because now I need help. First I need to decode my serial number off the engine so I can get a year and other specs. Then I need a good source for the shop manual/repair manual with wiring diagrams(if someone has a pdf for free, that would delight me to no end). Then I need a good source for period correct mods that I could possibly do. I want this bike to look as classic as possible. Thinking of painting it up like an old military bike and putting hard boxes on the sides. Any feedback would be great. Thanks for reading my post.

rampelsauce
honda305.com Member

Post by rampelsauce » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:06 pm

By the way, Im hoping to get some pictures this weekend after I get the thing in running order. You should see the goofy paint job the previous owner put on it. Im not sure what they were thinking exactly, but Im sure it was influenced by less than legal means of recreation.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:44 am

Hi,

Welcom to the forum. I won't say that buying a dream for 250 makes me hate you, most of us don't.
The trouble with these bikes isn't the buying price, but the price of the parts needed some day.

And do not forget the time and energy you have to put into it.

Look on ebay for literature for these bikes, and I recommend Bill's Silver's Bible's (for sale on this site). A parts manual on line is on the site of CMS (www.cmsnl.com).

Looking forward to see some pictures,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

chico
honda305.com Member

Post by chico » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:45 am

Hi,
welcome to the forum, before the grumpys here start scolding you I'll tell you to learn how to use the search app. on the forum to find helpful info to help with your dream dreams. again welcome and let the search begin.
chico(steve)
66 CB77
ride safe

rampelsauce
honda305.com Member

Post by rampelsauce » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks guys. Im really excited about this project, and I look forward to sharing experiences with you folks. I've been looking around the site, and see theres a restoration section. Im kind of a shutter bug, so lots of snap shots will be going around. I plan on putting in some class A effort on this one. I've already restored a 1983 Honda Odyssey FL250, and I have a no rush project of a 1968 Suzuki K10P 79cc. I have a little experience with older bikes, so if I have some knowledge or suggestions to add to the brain trust here, I will try. Just try to treat me with kid gloves while I get used to the site, unless I do something really boneheaded. Thanks again!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 am

Rampelsauce

Thanks for sharing your excitement with us. Its a priceless feeling made even better when you get a bargain. I paid much much more for my dream(s) in need of total restoration. My magical moment came when I started dismantling my 1962 model. It has never been apart so underneath the rust and white aluminium corrosion is a low-miles untouched dream. It's all there just needs painting and cleaning.

My bargain moment came with a 150 Gilera on it's way to the scrap heap. It was mine for a bottle of Gin! I had her running within a couple of days despite the butchery of 7 previous youngster owners.

Have fun and send in those pictures.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home