□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda Dream CA77 305 Points and Timing Walk-Through

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:29 pm

If it runs the way you have it ok, but it appears you have no more adjustment the one way.There are two different style of points for these bikes.One part number ends in 003 the other 004.The 004's seem to be the more common ones from what I have seen.If your ign. plate says Denso on it you need the 004 part number.OEM points will have a ND stamped on them.It appears in the picture it says that on the plate if I see correctly?Look at the two points you have and compare the actuating arm closely to see if they are different.Joe

kamin1772
honda305.com Member

Post by kamin1772 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:01 pm

This post saved me so much suffering!! This is the situation, and I hope it helps someone else out.

My bike was running pretty well, but popping at high speed. I suspected the points and/or timing, so decided to do a little cleaning and adjusting. I cleaned the points with an sos pad, and adjusted them the old fashioned way by measuring the gap on fire. Put everything back together, it ran great for a few miles, then died. Did some investigating, and found no spark. Went through and checked everything, and it all seemed great. I figured it had to be a bad component, like the coil or something. I almost broke down and bought a new everything, and found this post. I tried it out, and found that my light stayed on, no matter where the crank was. I was stumped until i saw that the two points weren't meeting perfectly. It was just the smalliest little bit off, like almost microscopic, but enough to make a bad connection. A little tweak with a screwdriver and I was back in business.

So, I recommend that people try this with no spark. If I hadn't, I would have probably spent a lot of money for absolutely nothing. Thanks a lot, and HAPY DREAMING!!

Tango911
honda305.com Member

Post by Tango911 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:17 am

wow great post. i understand timing now alot better. Now for a stupid question. Do both cylinders go up and down at the same time, therefore the points on the right side are for both sparks?

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Tango911 wrote:wow great post. i understand timing now alot better. Now for a stupid question. Do both cylinders go up and down at the same time, therefore the points on the right side are for both sparks?
No. The cylinders reach the extremes of their travel at different times. When the piston head is as close as it can get to where the fuel is injected (point of highest compression), this is when the spark plugs fires. If you have one point, it takes care of both spark plugs, while dual points (a left and right) have a cylinder dedicated to each point. Hope that helps!
'64 CA77 305 Dream

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Actually, on a Dream, both pistons rise and fall together, (called the Type II) engine, and the plugs fire both on compression and on exhaust stroke, called wasted spark system, thats why it only needs one set of points.
On most Hawks and Scramblers, the pistons travel in alternate directions, (called Type I engines) with 180 degree cranks.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

Tango911
honda305.com Member

Post by Tango911 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:11 pm

that helps.

can someone explain why some engines have a

bum bum bum, then a fast dadadada, then back to a slow bum bum....

like thers a slight hesitation at certain times. or could that be the timing is off.

even my four-stroke dirt bike seems to have a little skip in th firing every few secconds.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:41 pm

IGNITION. ........lm
Tango911 wrote:that helps.

can someone explain why some engines have a

bum bum bum, then a fast dadadada, then back to a slow bum bum....

like thers a slight hesitation at certain times. or could that be the timing is off.

even my four-stroke dirt bike seems to have a little skip in th firing every few secconds.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home