Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

SPEEDO CABLE SHEILD REBUILD-CRAZY TALK?

jcspc
honda305.com Member

SPEEDO CABLE SHEILD REBUILD-CRAZY TALK?

Post by jcspc » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Has anyone rebuilt a speedo cable?
I have been looking for a replacement cable for my CL77 because the outside shielding is cracked in multiple places and pretty ugly. The cable inside is just fine and I was examining it the other day and thinking, what if I took both the ends off and bought one of those extra long ones that go pretty cheap on ebay, cut it down to size and put my old cable ends on it. Add some heat shrink tube to cover the end and ... new cable?
Crazy talk?
65' CL77 OWNER

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Not really. How about stripping off the jacket and applying some grey h/s tubing? It's available in long lengths, usually on a small roll; heat it gently, along its length, using a heat gun on low heat (or from a 4-6" distance). Don't be impatient or the tubing will darken in colour with too much heat.

jcspc
honda305.com Member

Post by jcspc » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I thought about that but all of the h/s I have seen has a dull, flat type finish unlike the shiny silver found on the cables. I was looking at my cable and thought that if I got the long "chopper" cable I could break loose the fitting on the wheel end that has some shrink tube around it, cut the cable and spread the crimped fitting with a tapered tool like a drift or punch, put some h/s on re-crimp the fitting and h/s the crimp so if it gets buggered up at all, it's covered...Hmmmmmm
65' CL77 OWNER

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:33 pm

The resin(glue)-filled h/s contracts to leave a sort of satin sheen. It'll polish up a bit. Google for gloss-finish heat shrink; it must exist as the cable manufacturers use it -- take a look at a CB tach cable's end finisher where it connects to the camshaft g/box.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

speedo cable

Post by rustywrench » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Unless you're really enjoying saving the life of this cable, you could spend the $20 plus shipping and buy a reproduced cable from www.olypen.com/retro/ . Their site is down for a few days so I think they may be on vacation but they will be up the 27Th. Great folks to do business with.
BTW- would you please PM me your phone # ? I have some questions about titles and you may have the answer. RW

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:00 am

Good point, RW! Here I am, thinking that CL cables are made from unobtainium.....

jcspc
honda305.com Member

Re: speedo cable

Post by jcspc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:28 pm

rustywrench wrote:Unless you're really enjoying saving the life of this cable, you could spend the $20 plus shipping and buy a reproduced cable from www.olypen.com/retro/ .

Hey thanks for the tip. Sure beats my idea...

Thanks,

jcspc
65' CL77 OWNER

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home