Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

PETCOCK REPAIR KITS

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
jcmzhou
honda305.com Member

Post by jcmzhou » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:25 pm

thanks, it was hard to see the cork piece as it was caked w/ gunk on it....

next question, as some have posted that they used a small amount of grease on the rubber pieces,,....will lithium grease work

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:48 pm

I am not sure about the grease.May want to take suggestion in the other post.I got fed-up with how hard it was and did not mess with the grease yet.Instead I just put a cheap lawnmower shut-off in line and leave my petcock on reserve all the time.

jcmzhou
honda305.com Member

Post by jcmzhou » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:43 pm

ok....small problem......i got the petcock put back together and the end looking piece (witht the 'x' ring) does not seem to want to push all the way back in, i figure this is because of the new rubber gaskets.....

question 1) do the ends of the 'x' clip snap into place or or the ends kinda of up and are forced down when the three screws of the petcock are tightened, thus compressing the rubber gaskets on the inside together
.....is there someway to safely compress these pieces when putting it back together

question 2) the rebuild kit came w/ three small metal washers, where it looks like the original were rubber, is it best to stick with rubber and get new ones

i put the petcock back together and as i mentioned in question #1, i thought the 'x' clip would compress the innards of the petcock together as i screwed in the three screws..........didn't work, when i put the tank back on, and put a little gas in it.....it still leaked....you can tell the leak is coming from the little hole where the on/run lever is

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:48 pm

My experience with the kit was that when I used the 3 metal "crush washers" was that I had gas leak around them.I tightened them best I could and did not help.So I put the 40 year old originals on and no leaks!My petcock did not leak around where you say.The other problem I had was that I like to run the carb low and since it was such a tight fit and the constant on and off was flexing the high level tube and it actual broke the rubber off that held the tube to round rubber piece.I discovered this after putting a new kit in and seeing the tube flex as I turned it on and off.That is why guys are using the grease to help it move.I believe the springs should catch the hole in the tank to tighten things up if I'm not mistaken.There was a post on the Yahoo 305 site not long ago how someone fixed there leaking petcock.Go there and look back thru the last 3 or four weeks.

jcmzhou
honda305.com Member

Post by jcmzhou » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:13 pm

finally got it to work w/out leaking.....put a small amount of lithium grease on the rubber gaskets......i then put it together and got a small screw driver and slightly pried up the ends of the 'x' ring....which i think forced the compression of the gaskets as i tightened the three screws....the lever is nice and snug and moves smoothly....

mutley
honda305.com Member

Post by mutley » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Joe,

Have had same problem with petcock kit i just installed, rubbers took 5 days to freeze the petcock.
Are you still running the mower shutoff, or have you found another fix since this post?

Thanks
Tom

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:22 pm

still using mower shut-off

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home