Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:56 pm

Scott,

I too have recently missed a couple of shifts up from 1st into 2nd, although not all the time. I haven't missed any shifts going down. I was wondering if I had my shifter linkage not set just right. And, due to poor riding weather, I haven't had a chance in the last week to test things out.

Wilf

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Yeah, I've had my fair share of missed 2nd gears here and there. I attributed it to other clutch issues I was sorting out. The 2nd gear is pretty notorious as far as I understand.
Wilf wrote:I too have recently missed a couple of shifts up from 1st into 2nd, although not all the time. I haven't missed any shifts going down. I was wondering if I had my shifter linkage not set just right. And, due to poor riding weather, I haven't had a chance in the last week to test things out.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:41 pm

Sucks to hear. Your bike is one of the most beautiful I've seen. Definitely an inspiration for me for when I start my restoration this winter.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:07 pm

I have an engine in the shop which I had tuned it to run and found it didn't have 2nd gear up or down.
When I took it apart for a total rebuild I found both of the Shift Drum screws were very loose and the Shift Drum Plate has a curve/bend also.
If that's what ya find ya will still need to split the cases to release the shift forks/roller so the drum can come far enough out to remove/replace the plate. ..............lm

Spargett wrote:So after a weekend of beautiful performance, I lost second gear completely. Either shifting up from 1st or down from 3rd, it lands in some sort of ghost neutral. Looks like I'm splitting the cases. All the other gears still shift beautifully.

The bike only has 8,000 original miles, but just about every other thing that could go wrong, has. This was literally the only thing I didn't go through, which I should have.

It's okay though, it'll give me an opportunity to x the gears and make replacements that should guarantee many miles of solid trouble free engine performance.

I'll be asking for some advice in the next few days, as soon as I get the cases split.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Gear change arm should be indexed to 11:00. ...........lm

Wilf wrote:Scott,

I too have recently missed a couple of shifts up from 1st into 2nd, although not all the time. I haven't missed any shifts going down. I was wondering if I had my shifter linkage not set just right. And, due to poor riding weather, I haven't had a chance in the last week to test things out.

Wilf

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks for the tip Ed. I almost got the motor pulled tonight. I'll post info as soon as I get her cracked open.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:53 pm

It appears the main culprit of loosing 2nd gear was the cotters shattering on the mainshaft 2nd gear. Here's a gallery of all my transmission parts. Looks like I'm in the market for some new gears as soon as possible due to dog wear. I really just want to get back on the road as soon as possible. I was so close just a week ago. Everything else seemed to shift and work perfectly.

I spoke to Ed, he suspects the shift drum needs replacement, kickstart shaft, low gear, brass bushing, kickstart pawl, and the 24t low gear. Teazer thinks my 2nd and 3rd gear's dogs are shot as well. Unfortunately it seems like every part runs about $150 on eBay. If anyone has any transmission parts please let me know, there's so little riding season left.

http://vintagehondamotorcycle.com/other ... sion-wear/

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home