□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1968 CB77 - Just picked up and lots of questions

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Ya may want to do a good job of cleaning the points and adjusting per the info in the FAQ section of the forum.
I wouldn't do any more carb adjusting until the timing is spot on. .............lm

cyclon36 wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:What ya describe can be the jets and/or fuel/air passages are blocked/clogged in both carbs.
Points are set correctly?. .........lm
Thanks LM,

I haven't checked the points yet. previous owner said that he sent it in for service to get it running as it was sitting for a while. I don't think they did a full service after what I'm finding though, just enough to make it start. I'm guessing a carb kit, points, and new plugs need to be on the top of my list.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:44 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Ya may want to do a good job of cleaning the points and adjusting per the info in the FAQ section of the forum.
I wouldn't do any more carb adjusting until the timing is spot on. .............lm
Thanks. I had some free time today so I went ahead and took the carb apart to clean and inspect. Figured I'd start with a clean carb as I need to go buy a feeler guage for the points.

Anyway, found some inconsistencies. One carb has the round brass floats while the other has D shaped plastic floats. I'm hoping that's not causing any problems. Anyway, put all that back together nice and clean. Checked the plugs to see if they were working. Both plugs work fine and compression seems to be good on both cylinders. Both cylinders are getting gas as one of the plugs was soaked and the other was black (definitely running rich).

So, I'm guessing the points are the odd man out? It's getting dark for today so I won't be able to fool with it until tomorrow. I did take the side plate off for inspection. Seems one of the copper coils is loose. Not sure if that is affecting anything as the rest of them are tight. It's not falling out, it just wiggles slightly compared to the other that are 100% fixed.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat May 22, 2010 3:37 am

cyclon36 wrote:Ok, snapped some pics of the control modules. The left side is stock I'm guessing so it's the right side that's from another bike. The mirror mounts on both controls are in different locations which drives me nuts as a symmetry freak.

Is there a good place to get vintage style controls (i.e metal instead of plastic housing) for the left and right side that would take care of the options that are on the bike (blinker/lights/start/horn/etc)?
Looks like a PO has rewired the original left control, which would have functioned: HI BEAM - PARKING LIGHT ONLY (*most states & world markets) - LO BEAM, to operate the winkers; the original right control (non-winker bikes -- your winkers are not original) would have been a throttle-grip housing and a starter button only. That r/h control is from one of Honda's smaller-displacement bikes of the period, possibly an S90.

I'll continue this topic once I find one of my previous posts, and link to it, concerning r/h OEM winker switches.

*some states' regs require both hi and lo beams in the centre position so that there's no 'dead' spot

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat May 22, 2010 4:13 am

Here's the topic link to my OEM throttle-grip housing / winker / starter switch; it cost me something like US$185 + shipping on eBay, OEM-boxed and from Japan: http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... adian+cp77

I'd say that, for a rider-project, your solution is far more economically viable! I'm just obsessive about attention to detail.....

Please don't snicker behind your hand over my lopsided seat! I'm preparing my '65 frame for fitting up, including my new seat.

More winkerspeak: http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=10

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:15 am

e3steve wrote:Here's the topic link to my OEM throttle-grip housing / winker / starter switch; it cost me something like US$185 + shipping on eBay, OEM-boxed and from Japan: http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... adian+cp77

I'd say that, for a rider-project, your solution is far more economically viable! I'm just obsessive about attention to detail.....

Please don't snicker behind your hand over my lopsided seat! I'm preparing my '65 frame for fitting up, including my new seat.

More winkerspeak: http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... c&start=10
Very nice. Thanks for the link. I now understand LM's previous post a bit better as I thought he was referring to the CL controls with pricing and availability.

I just received the new CL left housing for the winkers the other day. Its orientation is left/right for the switch which is a bit easier to remember in a hurry. I considered just taking it to the stock clean look but with the drivers down here in Georgia, I'll sacrifice a clean look for a bit of safety.

I like the look of the factory plate with winker bar. Looks like it would be easy to fabricate. I'm still debating on where to put my rears.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Big thanks to LM who helped me today over the phone. Got the non-firing (or so I thought) cylinder taken care of and now it's running great. Now on to the other issues

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed May 26, 2010 11:58 am

cyclon36 wrote:Going through the exhaust bits. I took the headers off to clean them up a bit. I noticed a big weight difference between the two. Upon inspection I realized that one side had an inner steel tube while the lighter one did not. Was this common or do you think one side is aftermarket and one side is stock?
Mine (thankfully!) has a pair of twin-wall headers; I think these were OEM. It's to stop the chrome 'blueing' like a poxy piece of old BSA or Triumph Britshit. I can say that. I used to run both.

Link to a pic of my original CB77; no blued headers!

Incidentally, I'm wondering if your handlebar may be from a CA-model. A riser 'bar of that height wasn't USA-market, I believe. Canadian CP77, yes; but it didn't have the concealed throttle cable á la CA. In which case, do an eBay search for a CA72 or CA77 for non-US market r/h switch (Europe, Canada, domestic Japan).

Keep the questions coming -- we have most of the answers.......!!

Canadian CP77 pic:
Attachments
66 Canadian CP77.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home