Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Starter "slipping?" - whining noise

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Spargett
honda305.com Member

Starter "slipping?" - whining noise

Post by Spargett » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:39 pm

More and more lately my starter has been making a sound which resembles a slipping noise. As if something is just spinning, but nothing is grabbing. This usually occurs after the second attempt to start or so.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what this might be symptomatic of, and if it's something I should look into repairing myself, or should I just look for a "new" starter.

Thank you, I'm curious to find out what this is.
Last edited by Spargett on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:58 pm

Scott,

If the starter spins, then I would think the electrics inside it are ok. There are gears inside the output end of the starter, but I don't think they would be causing a sometimes work/sometimes not condition.

I would be more inclined to suspect the starter clutch. I just replaced the rollers, springs, spring cups and the starter clutch outer on my CB77. Rollers were a bit under spec, the springs were bad, but the real clincher was that the outer was broken. It's not a hard job--remove right side cover, stator, rotor and then inspect the parts. There are photos in my Ugly Betty restoration log, page 4 maybe.

Wilf

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:29 am

Here's the starter in "action". In what way do you feel the starter clutch would be malfunctioning? I'm so curious to get to the bottom of this.

dkwilfert
honda305.com Member

Post by dkwilfert » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:10 am

After listening to your video, it is most likely the starter clutch behind the generator rotor; broken springs or missing/stuck rollers. However, first pull the small cover on the end of the starter motor and confirm the sprocket and chain are rotating when the starter motor is spinning. There is a gear system of numerous parts that transmits power from the electric motor to the sprocket on the end of the starter assembly, and while not likely, it is possible something broke in there. I don't think your problem is "complex", just need to identify the source and the fix should be obvious.
63 CB77
04 Silverwing

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:19 am

Hi,

I was facing the same problem with my dream, same noise,
sometimes it would engage, but mostly not.

A good cleaning and lubrication did the trick, until today it works flawless.
The grease in the clutch was old and hardened, a new mixture of grease oil and graphite was enough.

(85 % grease, 10 % oil and 5% graphite), but molycote is also working (mix with a little engine oil)

Take the time so check if wear is also a reason

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

redblk63
honda305.com Member

Post by redblk63 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:05 am

Spargett,

I had the same symptom. In my case, the pin locating the annular gear into the gear case of the starter had sheared. One picture shows the sheared pin at about 6 o'clock, and the other shows the annular gear with the hole for the pin at about 1:30.

Are you still looking for the fix, or is your problem solved?

Larry - Pasadena
Attachments
P3210020.jpg
P3210021.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home