Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 crankshaft in a CB77?

mondial
honda305.com Member

CL77 crankshaft in a CB77?

Post by mondial » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Does anyone know what the differences are between the 180 degree crankshafts of the CB77 and CL77? They look identical, although they have different Honda part numbers. I know the CB77 has the starter drive clutch behind the alternator rotor, while the CL77 does not since it doesn't have electric start. Anyone have any experience using a CL77 crank in a CB77?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 crankshaft in a CB77?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:47 am

Ya don't want to use the CL77 crank in a CB77 cause the CB crank has a small oil hole at the rotor end to allow oil to lube the Starter Sprocket.
Without the oil hole the sprocket won't get lube and can seize to the crank. .............lm
mondial wrote:Does anyone know what the differences are between the 180 degree crankshafts of the CB77 and CL77? They look identical, although they have different Honda part numbers. I know the CB77 has the starter drive clutch behind the alternator rotor, while the CL77 does not since it doesn't have electric start. Anyone have any experience using a CL77 crank in a CB77?

mondial
honda305.com Member

CB 77 Crankshaft

Post by mondial » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. I have been looking for a low mileage crank for my CB77 and found CL77 cranks more easily available. My engine has 24,000 miles on it and its noisy on acceleration. I am thinking the noise is due to excessive clearance in the connecting rod roller bearings. When I last had it apart to do the top end, I checked the rod bearing clearance with a dial indicator and measured it at .001 inch. The Honda manual gives the wear limit at .0019 so its well under that, but I wonder if .001 clearance will make the engine noisy? Its kind of a metallic rattle when the engine is under load. Is the crank at fault or am I looking in the wrong place?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CB 77 Crankshaft

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:37 pm

Some times these engines are just noisey. COuld be a Cam Sprocket that is loose on the mounting/ rubber warn or missing from the advance weights.
Pist on slap. Could be any of these. .........lm

mondial wrote:Thanks for the info. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. I have been looking for a low mileage crank for my CB77 and found CL77 cranks more easily available. My engine has 24,000 miles on it and its noisy on acceleration. I am thinking the noise is due to excessive clearance in the connecting rod roller bearings. When I last had it apart to do the top end, I checked the rod bearing clearance with a dial indicator and measured it at .001 inch. The Honda manual gives the wear limit at .0019 so its well under that, but I wonder if .001 clearance will make the engine noisy? Its kind of a metallic rattle when the engine is under load. Is the crank at fault or am I looking in the wrong place?

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

CL77 crankshaft in a CB77

Post by bill440cars » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:50 pm

LOUDMOUSE, that's really something a person would really need to
know. I would have thought that the shaft swap wouldn't be a problem
and would have given info that would have caused damage. What about
going the other way and putting the CB crankshaft in the CL? Could you
plug the hole and do it? Just curious. Later on, Bill

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 crankshaft in a CB77

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:32 pm

Plugging the hole is easy.
I taper a piece of small diameter brass welding rod and J.B. Weld it in the hole. ...........................lm

te="bill440cars"]LOUDMOUSE, that's really something a person would really need to
know. I would have thought that the shaft swap wouldn't be a problem
and would have given info that would have caused damage. What about
going the other way and putting the CB crankshaft in the CL? Could you
plug the hole and do it? Just curious. Later on, Bill[/quote]

ozarkian5
honda305.com Member

cl77 vs. cb77 engine

Post by ozarkian5 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:11 am

I have the chance to buy a couple of cl77 parts bikes and was wondering if these motors interchanged alot of parts with my cb77, such as jugs, heads, cams, etc.? I was glad to read about the cranks being different, I didn't know.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home