Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CB72

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:56 am

So, the new pilot jet has fixed the idle problem. It now starts easier (still a bit of fiddling with the choke/throttle to keep it running when first started) and idles at about 1k when warmed up.

So, the next problem....

I bought a timing light to double check my static timing, and it was pretty spot on, the only "feature" I have is that when revved to anything from idle the ignition advances straight away and some times takes a couple of seconds to retard which means that the bike revs at 1500 or so for a couple of seconds (some times longer) before dropping to the original idle speed. Is this a problem/expected behaviour? Have posted in the ignition section as well.

New neutral switch also fixed the flickering and faulty neutral indication.

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:09 am

First ride - no MOT so *cough* it was on a private road....

Started on the button, but after a few minutes of warming up petrol started leaking out of the overflows *again*. Draining the bowl and flushing through some petrol seemed to fix it so it looks like the fuel tap filter isn't catching everything - are there any neat filters available for the 5.5mm hose? (also posted to carb section)

Did a couple of miles or so, enough to get into third and up to 40. Gearbox is a bit vague but it works at least, which I was worried about.

Front brake is much better than I was expecting, back brake absolutely useless, will try and adjust.

Doesn't like pulling at low revs at all, I expect this is down to the advance kicking in at anything over tickover and I'm losing torque at low revs but a bit of throttle had it pulling away ok.

Seemed pleasant enough to ride (not ridden one before).

I've got to find a friendly MOT chap in Nottingham now, my RD350 needs doing first so that'll be a toe in the water.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home