Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 Dream Carb Maintenance Walk-Through

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

CA77 Dream Carb Maintenance Walk-Through

Post by paperslammer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:08 pm

** Thought I would update this **

I just started messing around with my carburetor. I've read a lot here a found that there is kind of a steep learning curve with motorcycle terms / hardware. So I've put together everything I've learned with pictures and will continue to update this one as I go along. Pictures help me a lot. So my engine can't run without the choke on a little bit which causes the bike to run rich, or use too much gasoline. This makes the spark plugs collect black soot. So I figure I'd start at the carburator. For my 1964 Dream the carburator is hidden behind a cover, so you'll have to take them both off.

You've found the carburetor!

It will help if you take the seat and gas tank off. Unscrew the seat bolts here:

Unscrew the tank bolts here:

Hints for getting the tank off:
1) Turn the petcock off! This allows you to remove the tubing from the petcock to the carb
Ok, well that was the only hint, but the next challenge is getting the tubing that connects the two sides of the tank off. There are 4 setups you could have:

1) The tube going straight from one side of the tank to the other. You'll have to probably empty your tank to work with this one.

2) 2 tubes connected in the middle by a double-barbed fitting. For this one you can disconnect at the middle and bend the tubing and hold it in place with rubber bands. It might be easy to use some vice-grips to block one side so you can deal with one side at a time (see below)

3) One tube connecting both sides and is long enough to stay on top of the frame when the gas tank is attached. All you have to do is lift the tank off.

4) Both sides of the tank plugged. Pull it right off.

The tube connecting the 2 sides keeps the gas level the same on both sides. Having the tube lay over the frame will keep the gas level the same on both sides until the level of gas in the tank is below the highest point of the tube laying over frame. Having both sides of the tank plugged will do no gas level maintenance.

OK! On to carb stuff!
Unscrew these following items:

If you have an original filter, you'll have to disconnect your carb from that next. Mine has some ghetto after market thing so I don't have to (I'm getting an original one)

Next you should unscrew the throttle cable from the carb.
Unscrewed it looks like

The brass needle coming out is referred to as..drumroll.. the needle. Differs from the needle jets. I didn't get a picture of it, but if you look in the top of the cylindrical shaft surrounding the needle, you'll see a little clip holding it in. This is what people change when they say they've "moved the needle up one notch" and such.

Hooray! You've gotten the carb off. To open it, swing this arm back (and gas will come pouring out so be a little careful)

And inside you'll find:

If you have a nasty gasket, get a new one. It's worth it. You should clean the carb out, getting rid of all rust bits / gunk / sludge / lucky charms / what you find in here.

You can take the floats out (the big brass round things) by pulling out this pin, and it will help you get things clean.

Once you are all cleaned up, it's time to set the float height! I've got a PW22 carb so that means my float height should be 26.5mm. If you have a PW26 carb, your float height should be 22.5mm

The float height is measured by setting the carb upside-down (floats on top) and lifting the floats until the brass tang JUST starts to depress the float valve.

When the tang begins to depress the valve, the height from the top of the float to the gasket recess in the carb body should be 26.5mm (for my PW22 carb).

THE PICTURE BELOW IS MISLEADING. THE RULER SHOULD TOUCH THE GASKET RECESS. Right now it is just touching the carb body. You should see a ridge the rides underneaths the gasket. Your measuring tool should be on either side of this ridge and measure to the top of the float.

If you floats are not the right height, you must bend the brass tang (gently) to make alterations. And that's it! You've set your float heights. Put everything back together.

Of note:
The brass piece coming out of you carb (shown below) is the main jet. In the hole next to it (hidden inside) is the slow jet. You should take these out and make sure they are clear of all debris. You should be able to blow through them easily.
Last edited by paperslammer on Wed May 16, 2018 12:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
'64 CA77 305 Dream

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:11 pm

delete
Last edited by paperslammer on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'64 CA77 305 Dream

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:18 pm

delete
Last edited by paperslammer on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'64 CA77 305 Dream

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:26 pm

delete
Last edited by paperslammer on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'64 CA77 305 Dream

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:02 pm

delete
Last edited by paperslammer on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'64 CA77 305 Dream

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:25 pm

delete
Last edited by paperslammer on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'64 CA77 305 Dream

Loudo
honda305.com Member

Carb

Post by Loudo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Yes, the slow jet should be located in the orifice you've described.

Incidentally, the float height adjustment dimension is from the TOP of the carb body, NOT the surface of the recess upon which the float bowl gasket bears. And yes, you are correct that there should be a gasket between the carb and bowl which is apparently missing in your case.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home