Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Good deal Richard. .............lm
Here are a couple of pics that you ask for.
Ya ever going to answer my question about your statement I ask twice for an explanation of?. ..........lm
teazer wrote:I recently built a motor that Clunked as you describe it, but had tight springs, no perceptible lash and was silent when I ran the motor. No Clack-Clack at all when it ran.

Do you have a picture of a bad one (like Scott's perhaps) so we can see the difference? Or am I to understand that it'snot so easy to spot visually.
Attachments
Weight laying on the center part.

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:03 am

Ed,
Thanks for those pics. It's not all that obvious to an untrained eye, but if I understand the comments, if the weight clunk down onto the steel center part it's going to be noisy in all probability, and if the weights are "off" the center part and have some rubber still on them, it will probably be OK. Cool. I'll try to remember that.

Sorry to not answer your question but I'm still not sure I understand what you are asking. I read back through the last couple of pages of posts and I'm not seeing a question. Our writing "styles" are a little different, but I still can't see a question. If I did I would answer it - or at least try to. :-)

Or maybe I'm not the Richard that you are asking.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:23 am

So it looks like the neoprene in this one is doing it's job by keeping the weight just barely off the center. Maybe a millimeter or less, correct?
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-03-03 at 10.18.24 PM.png

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:34 am

Scott,

That's how I'm interpreting the info from Ed (LM)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 am

You are correct Scott ..lm

Spargett wrote:So it looks like the neoprene in this one is doing it's job by keeping the weight just barely off the center. Maybe a millimeter or less, correct?

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:50 am

Just wanted to let everyone know, I've had nothing but great experiences with Terry & Karole from RetroBikes. Honest, knowledgeable, and best customer service you could ask for.

I recently ordered their top end gasket set. One of the breather plate gaskets wasn't included in the kit, something we both overlooked in the photo of the set they took for me. I emailed them when I realized after receiving the kit, and they sent out the 'missing' gasket next day for no cost.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:04 am

The cam sprocket Loud Mouse sent me along side the old one. You can see different height gaps where the advance weights "contact" the center. The old one was sitting right against it *clack*, where the new one has about 1mm of space. The sprocket has also been tac welded into place to avoid any possibility of the rivets loosening over time. (click to view larger)

Installation of the cam sprocket; tightening the locking nut down.

Attached are a few other photos of the new cush drive clutch he rigged up and mailed for me as well as my original (stronger C72) rotor cleaned up with the LT/LF stamped in now. I'm working on tons of different little things in getting the bike back together right now. I'll be reassembling the top end tomorrow and installing back onto the lower end.
Attachments
New clutch
New clutch
Original (stronger C72) rotor cleaned up with the LT/LF stamped in
Original (stronger C72) rotor cleaned up with the LT/LF stamped in
Last edited by Spargett on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home