Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

piston to valve clearance

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
bfd402
honda305.com Member

Post by bfd402 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 am

Is there a way to put up a sticky in this section of members race bikes and classic 250/305/350's from the past? Or is there an interest?
I sure like to look over the photos to see what others have done to there bikes

305racer
honda305.com Member

Post by 305racer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:38 pm

teazer wrote:BFD. Nice one.

Here's mine:

A long time ago on a planet far far away...

Ready for a rebuild. The motor is fresh but the chassis needs a clean up. Obviously the stand is just there to keep it from falling over in the shed. It has a short alloy pin which is easy to slip in rather than using a bulky paddock stand.

I dig your foot rest hanger solution and may have to mimmick it instead of casting some CYB knock off's. Looks to make for ease of adjustability in intial setup.
Did you race that bike here in the USA?
georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida
AHRMA #500 Road Race
#G50 Cross Country

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Unfortunately not. I raced it in Australia - mainly in VIC, Winton, Calder, and Phillip Island plus the odd Geelong Sprint and bendigo Sprint and an odd trip to Oran Park in New South.

When I put the bike into climate controlled storage, it had new race tires which my sons used on their street RD Yamahas, but at least they left me some rim protectors.

Ove the years of trips back, I stripped and rebuilt the motor.

On my next trip home, I'll strip the motor again just to be sure that the seals are good and nothing has rusted etc and I'll throw a new coat of paint the frame and swingarm and polish it up.

The footpeg arrangement allowed me to get my feet where I wanted them. I raced it with stock alloy plates, but they crack and I got tired of getting them repaired.

I used a similar design on a few race bikes over the years from a Honda 50 I rebuilt for a buddy to a pair of CB92s and a Cb160 racer too. They are about the limit of my welding ability. I start with a drilled and threaded rod inset into the frame tube and at the swingarm I start with a stock seal/end cap, which has the rubber seal removed. That is flipped and slipped inside a short length of tube and so it goes.

In the US it's so easy to get whatever length of Chome-Moly tubing that it makes this sort of fab very easy - even for me.
Last edited by teazer on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:35 pm

For footpegs you could also copy the CR72 style. Pete Rhodes in the UK did that on a couple of his bikes.

jerry
honda305.com Member

piston to valve clearance

Post by jerry » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Dear Deez,
Picture of the 350 which is externally the same as the 500. All the best Jerry
Attachments
Bike Pics 17th March 2010 029.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home