Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Phil-UK wrote:As Bill or Ted might have said .... EXCELLENT !!!!

Phil
Thanks Phil! You'll be pleased to know that one of the Honda Collection Hall decals is on the bike (replaces the Esso Tiger), and it looks super.

I'm thinking of getting my pinstriping friend Lee to paint a facsimile of Mike Hailwood's signature on both side covers below the crossed flags -- sort of a Mike Hailwood Limited Edition SuperHawk!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Got the bike back home this morning -- unfortunately I wimped out and trailered the bike (horrors!).

Hopefully if the weather is decent and the roads are dry tomorrow, I'll take it out for a ride to see how it is. C'mon spring!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:33 am

Vince
Fabulous pictures! Looking at your bike reminds me of the Ogri cartoons from Bike magazine. Everywhere a little detail or individual touch. Those Goldie mufflers look so right. I remember my brother's CB72 having those. Most Hondas in the UK in the 1960's had the stock mufflers thrown over the nearest hedge. Everyone wanted to let out that beautiful music.

The only thing that 'jars' for me (I know it's all personal) is the peak on the headlight rim. Looks more Lambretta than Triton to me. :-)

The big 'bacon slicer' disks on the front wheel are very 'sixties' and those Amal Concentric carbs look like they were made for the bike. I have seen a CB77 race engine using Amals mounted on Norton Commando inlet manifolds but the air cleaner rubbers wouldn't line up if you did that. Mind you it would look quite sexy with those lovely bellmouths used on the Triumph F750 racers in the 70s.

Enjoy that first ride. The weather in England is dire. Just have to light up the pipe, don the cable-knit cardigan and stand around some old race-bike.....

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

JeffA
honda305.com Member

Post by JeffA » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:12 am

Looks perfect Vince... though I confess that everything sorta looked perfect to me until you change it and I look back on the original.

I'll echo the "everywhere a little detail" comment and tag on that what's so great is that you RIDE this bike. Not just an occasional nostalgia run, but serious miles.

I've been starting the CX briefly every few days to keep things moving in anticipation of some streets with no snow - and maybe a few degrees warmer too. (Dream still needs a new gasket to stop the petcock from leaking after my end of season fuel system maintenance.) Also just ordered some new gloves and a balaclava so I can feel a bit more comfortable on the more "ambitious" Baltimore spring mornings. So, I'll be ready for a ride shortly!

Jeff

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:13 am

Oh that's right -- the cardigan/pipe photo! I need to do that!

I know what you mean about the headlight peak, and this is the shortest one that I could find for a 7" headlight. I've tried it with it both on and off the bike, and I seem to prefer it with it on....but of course with this creation, it's all subject to change.

I think this is the total rundown of what 'we' did these last two months:

Repainted tank, side panels, front fender in the same motif; Repainted swingarm; Machined the two aluminum 'cups' for the top of the external fork springs; new rear tire (3.25x18 Dunlop K82) and tube; New rear brake shoes; Converted glass main fuse to a flat plug-in type fuse (I think this was a smart thing to do - particularly since I ride the bike so much); Greased the bearings in the starter motor; New (shorter) front brake cable; Rechromed tank side panels, rear brake arm, hydraulic steering damper; Oil change/filter service, new plugs, general going-over; Compression test (great!); Serviced the K&N filters; Replaced a few bolts with stainless; New petcock screen; Checked valves; The all important installation of the vintage dealer plate and new decals!

The thing that I appreciate is that John (my mechanic) is very understanding of my weirdness/obsession with the 'art project', and I'm sure that many other mechanics would not be willing to put in the time or be as detailed as he is. I am definitely aware of my mechanical limitations, but the one thing I can do is come up with the concept, gather the parts and resources together, and then John can make it happen.

I definitely admire/respect all you guys that can do all these things yourselves, but I just don't have that mechanical aptitude -- I'm very good at taking things apart, but not so good at putting them back together (This is probably genetic: I can remember going into my father's workroom when I was a kid, and seeing something taken apart and sitting on his workbench....seems that he had the same problem!).

Thanks to all you guys here for putting up with this for the last 5 years, and I'm sure it's not over yet!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Pipes and Cardigans -- UNITE!

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Wonderful!

Vince, you're an honorary 1960's Englishman now!

This was the first Honda (a C72) that I encountered, around 1965/6. No cardigans (it was a rare summer day) and definitely no pipe for the very young G on the back. Dig those ace bars on a touring Dream......

Graham
Attachments
Honda C72 and Curtis brothers.
Honda C72 and Curtis brothers.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home