Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

65 CA77 Head Disassembly

tkekfs
honda305.com Member

65 CA77 Head Disassembly

Post by tkekfs » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:58 am

I am stripping my head so I can clean it thoroughly and possibly bead blast it.

Does anyone know for sure which way the center locking nut on the 65 CA77 Camshaft is threaded? Also does anyone have any neat tricks for removing the camshaft. I have tried the mallet and screwdriver approach but the locking nut seems pretty stuck and I don't want to hammer on it too much until I am positive that I am loosening and not tightening.

Also I need some kind of valve spring compressor. Does anyone have one that they can recommend? Is there anything I need to be wary of when removing the valves?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin.

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:20 am

It is has left hand threads. Take a look at the pic here. Ignore the diagram part.

Put a large vise grips in the spot shown on the pic. Then take a dull screwdriver or chisel and place it in the exact spot shown in the pic and tap on it. The nut will turn toward the exhaust valves. A few taps and it should be loose. Do you already have the 6mm nut (10mm wrench) on the end loose?

After that just tap the cam one way or the other. I think I also pryed on the points side flange with two screwdrivers and it came out real easy.

For a valve sping compressor I just use the one I have always used. Something I bought in the small engines section at the local auto parts store. But in order to use it I had to make an extension piece out of tubing. I used steel. PVC might work as well. Find somethin about the same diameter as the valve retainer, cut it to length 2-3" should be enough and you should be good to go. Now instead of Magnets on a stick come in handy here also.

Here is a link to a tool somebody made just for the occasion.
http://www.vjmc.org/techtips/valvespring.htm

jarz21
honda305.com Member

Post by jarz21 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:36 pm

Since this appears to be a 'Kevin' thread, I might as well add my 2¢.

When I loosened the large lock nut, I was able to get the left-side cam out without too much trouble. The side other side had the spark advance/ cam sprocket stuck on, so I was having a heck of a time with it. I ended up having to put a metal bar down through the top so I could bolt end solidly enough without the entire cam sliding. It took a decent whack with a copper mallet to get it out.

For removing the valves, I used a homemade tool combined with a large C-clamp. The homemade part was a machined steel tube that had two slits cut out which run part of the lenght. The slits give enough space to fit a magnet or pair of needle-nosed pliars to fit in and pull the retainers out. Worked out great, but I think I'll end up having the tool welded/ attached to the clamp to make it a little eaiser.

Kevin in PA

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:52 pm

What are the odds.

3 Kevin's fixing 3 CA77's at the same time.

tkekfs
honda305.com Member

Camshaft still stuck and intake valve bent

Post by tkekfs » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:16 pm

I was able to remove the valves with a tool that I made using the designs you posted from an 8" C-clamp and a piece of 1" diameter PVC pipe. One of the intake valve was seemingly stuck and I managed to bend it just slightly when removing it. It still slid out but not really smoothly so I will definitely need a new one. Anyone know which engine models and years have the same intake valves as a 65 CA77 305? Anyone have one laying around they would be willing to part with?

Also the camshaft lock nut is totally stuck. I have really pounded on it to no avail. I may abandon my plan to bead or sand blast it if I can just degrease and pressure wash the head with the Cam in place. Does anyone know if soaking/ pressure washing the head to clean it will mess up the bearings if I leave the camshaft in?

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:21 am

These valves were only used in the CA72 and the CA77. There is a pair on ebay right now. #4634690254

Are you positive the nut is stuck? Are you turning it the correct way?

If all else fails I think it would be ok to soak the head as long as you pre-lube the bearings when you assemble.

tkekfs
honda305.com Member

Post by tkekfs » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:18 am

Unfortunately I am pretty sure the nut is stuck. I was turning it the way you illustrated in previous posts. For giggles I even tried to turn it the opposite way and that didn't work either. I have no idea why this is so stuck. I even tried heating it with a torch and still nothing.

I was planning on pre-lubing as soon as I let the head dry (if for no other reason just to keep the cam from rusting).
I was also planning on generally lubing things when I reassemble the engine. Does anyone have a favorite assembly lube? Or should I just use regular engine oil?

Thanks for all your help. This site is really fantastic.
Kevin.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home