□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:53 pm

Sorry Steve but the way I break in my rebuilds is so simple and quick that I'll just do it my way and let the experts do it their way and I won't have to see them go nuts and counter with their reasons.
Two strokes are even easier!!!!
Sorry Steve. .............lm

e3steve wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:NAW.
I'LL JUST LET THE EXPERTS HAVE AT IT.
I, for one, would very much like you to share, Ed. As would many others, I'm sure!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I'D GUESS IF A EXHAUST PIPE HAD EVER BEEN RUN IT WILL NEVER HAVE OIL IN IT TO SMOKE.
Oil residue from storage/fabrication would burn off in minutes, surely(?), let alone miles. Oil in the exhaust header from the motor -- enough to cause exhaust smoke for, once again, more than minutes, would certainly be a lot of oil!? I have the feeling that you're 'testing' us here, me ol'mucker.!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Ya have a lot of SCUFF on those pistons.
And a lot of carbon for only that amount of miles.
How do the cylinders look.
Any aluminum there.
Probably would want to replace the rings.
Did the engine ever over heat? ............lm
I'm no mechanical expert but, IMHO, I'm in total agreement with Ed.

Carbon builds quickly when mineral oil combusts along with the induction charge. And the piston looks like it could've overheated and 'grabbed' in the bore; possibly too tight a rebore/honing tolerance? I don't see any blow-by, BTW.

As for the clacking noise Scott, did you listen around the top end with a stethoscope probe or a 'stethoscrewdriver' to closer pinpoint the source?

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:25 am

I spoke with Teazer on the phone who was a real pleasure and very patient with me. Since there was nothing obvious upon disassembly, I pulled the rockers and measured the cam lobes to make sure everything was in spec. Everything measured up well there and the rockers looked fine.

One thing I did notice was some lateral play in the advance weights on the cam. They both have about 2-2.5mm of side to side play. I don't know if this is normal or not, maybe someone can say for sure.

I'll be moving onto the examining the valves this weekend. Looking for anything, even the slightest thing that could be causing the engine noise or a small oil leak on the left side.
Attachments
67027998.jpg

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:08 am

Call me. ..............lm

Spargett wrote:I spoke with Teazer on the phone who was a real pleasure and very patient with me. Since there was nothing obvious upon disassembly, I pulled the rockers and measured the cam lobes to make sure everything was in spec. Everything measured up well there and the rockers looked fine.

One thing I did notice was some lateral play in the advance weights on the cam. They both have about 2-2.5mm of side to side play. I don't know if this is normal or not, maybe someone can say for sure.

I'll be moving onto the examining the valves this weekend. Looking for anything, even the slightest thing that could be causing the engine noise or a small oil leak on the left side.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 am

Call me again Scott. .......................lm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Call me. ..............lm

Spargett wrote:I spoke with Teazer on the phone who was a real pleasure and very patient with me. Since there was nothing obvious upon disassembly, I pulled the rockers and measured the cam lobes to make sure everything was in spec. Everything measured up well there and the rockers looked fine.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:25 am

A late update to the "clack- clack.
I have most of the cam parts here and what I find is:

The neoprene on the advance weights is compressed so far that the weights lay on the center casting of the cam insertion area and with that as the engine runs and the as weights move out/in they TAP on the center casting.
The valve rocker arms are good all the way as are the rocker arm pins.
The cam chain tensioner even though it is the early (set bolt installed from the left) and has the smaller neoprene wheel is good.
Rotor is a C72 rather than a CB72 but has timing marks (HONDA made) for timing the Left Side points and setting the valve clearance.
It's the one which charges at a higher rate than the C72 (L), CB72 (L). .............lm

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 am

Sounds like the only thing wrong that any of us has been able to find is with the points cam advance mechanism.

Can all that noise really be coming from the cam sprocket weights bouncing back and forth against the core of the cam coupler?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:23 am

Yes.
The noise from "Advance Weights" has been known by those of us who ride street bikes for many years.
That same/similar noise can/does come when the rivets loosen and the sprocket moves back and forth.
Good news is the owner of the parts sent them for me to look at as a neophyte has a problem identifying what can be wrong when they have only one part to look at and doesn't have a good one to compare to.
More good news is I have a good one to replace the bad one here.
When ya lift either of the weights and release it the spring pulls it back and ya hear/feel metal to metal contact.
Now imagine these weights moving out/in as the engine runs and ya have the clank-clank. .................lm

teazer wrote:Sounds like the only thing wrong that any of us has been able to find is with the points cam advance mechanism.

Can all that noise really be coming from the cam sprocket weights bouncing back and forth against the core of the cam coupler?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home