Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:13 am

G-Man wrote: I always feel guilty about destroying history when I restore a bike. We pay homage to Soichiro Honda but what about all those youngsters that made him rich then modded the 'bikes to their own liking? G
See this is my question - how many bikes stayed totally stock when they were purchased 'back in the day'? Though I could be wrong, I'd probably say that very few were kept bone stock. I'm then left to wonder what is considered 'historic' - the way it was in the showroom, or the way that it may have been/could have been by an owner at the time?

Boys will be boys, and I'm sure they all wanted to put their personal 'trademark' on their machines. Too bad though, that the boys didn't stick with the sweaters and the pipes....definitely adds an air of propriety.

Also, I do like the idea of the Rich Tea biscuits -- don't forget the Fortnum & Mason tea!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:49 am

And let's not forget the whole look with Seamans' socks turned over the top of the boots, and for a touch of class, a white silk scarf over the mouth and chin for that added touch of sartorial elegance.

I remember graduation to a leather chin guard with a Cromwell or Kangol open face Jet helmet when I had a T100 in full cafe trim. Back then we were all into the cafe race look with Manx type fiberglass tanks, race setas, rear sets, clip-ons etc, or the US chopper look which was pretty silly on small british bikes, but being cool was always important. Oops. Did I just give away my age.

And meanwhile back at the bike, any updates on the motor ?

Teazer

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Teazer - not sure if you're referring to my motor or G-Man's. If you're referring to mine, the motor was rebuilt stem-to-stern a couple of years ago, bored 0.25 o/s (1st overbore), new valves, rebuilt transmission, new clutch, electronic ignition, K&N filters, Amal 626 carbs, Norman Hyde 'TOGA' gold star mufflers, and it all runs like a champ. I put about 4000 miles a year on it.

Hopefully I'll be picking up the paintwork today (Thursday). I think he just has to finish wet-sanding it. A friend of mine was in the neighbourhood and dropped by Dave's to see how the paintwork was looking, and he said even without the wet sanding it all looked gorgeous. Can't wait!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Glad to hear it's still running like a Dream (all puns intended)

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Okay so the paint took a bit longer than originally planned (always the way!). But now everything is officially in the mechanic's hands, and hopefully the beast will be put back together and done by the end of the week. I went and checked out the progress, and things are looking good. Presently, the front end is all buttoned up -- John made the aluminum 'cups' for the upper part of the external springs and the newly chromed steering damper is back together and installed (in a word, the front end is PERFECT). The newly chromed side panels are on the freshly painted tank, and it looks very shiny and clean! The main fuse has been converted from a glass style to a flat plug type (much better!), the new brake pads are in the rear hub, K&N filters have been serviced, new spark plugs are in, new (shorter) front brake cable is hooked up, new petcock strainer, newly chromed rear brake arm, and a few other fiddly bits have been completed. The only things that still need to be done are to install the new rear tire, tube/rim tape, repaint the swingarm, and a few final touchups and we're complete! And they're calling for more snow this week -- hooray!!!!

There are also going to be a few less decals on the bike -- specifically, the 'Made in Japan' on the left side of the swingarm is going away, the Esso Tiger on the front fender, and quite possibly the Isle of Man TT decal on the front fender as well. The two flags on tip of the front fender are staying, as are the crossed flags on the side covers and the Ace Cafe decal on the tank (which is going to be slightly larger than the previous one). There is a 1960's NOS aluminum dealer badge from England that's replacing the 59 Club decal on the rear fender, and we'll see what else might be appropriate. My good friend Phil Lou in the UK sent me some really sweet Honda decals (Thanks Phil!), and I think one of them might find its way onto the bike this time around.

Never know, I might decide to not replace the others at all -- I know, very subversive!

A selection of the decals that are soon to be adorning the machine....

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Well the bike is done!

I stopped by John's today and he was putting a few final touches on it, and I'm going to be picking it up on Saturday. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the results!

John's putting the finishing touches on the bike

That crazy front end

Perfect!

Period UK dealer badge makes it right

What this project is all about

Ready to go!

Phil-UK
honda305.com Member

Post by Phil-UK » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:24 pm

As Bill or Ted might have said .... EXCELLENT !!!!

Phil

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home