Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 CARB PROBLEMS

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
suzukid01
honda305.com Member

Post by suzukid01 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:22 am

Thanks for the help to loud mouse and kustommusic.. To loud mouse I checked the gap on the points should be 0.012~0.016 or in between right?? correct me if I'm wrong.. To kustommusic the info about getting new sparks plugs is interesting the first new pair of plugs I bought fouled out and they didn't seem to work right after cleaning.. The second pair I bought fouled out also, in the beginning when new they would start right up no problem but 10 minutes into the engine running they would foul out..
cleaning just doesn't cut it huh!!!!! Well I don't know how many pairs of plugs I'm gonna go through before I get it right??? I'll try 1 more pair you think????? Or they just might get black also again and then I'm back to square 1... Damn Damn Damn@#@&#^%&....... Those plugs were brand new. Can't believe they don't work after cleaning I guess the carbon does it huh!!!!!!! Thanks for the info

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:56 am

There is more to the timing than points gap. You need to check actual time they open (Fire the Plug) to be sure they are corrrect. Go to the list below and then to the FAQ and look at (print) the "How I tune my engine" then I think you will cure your plug problem. You will need to do just as the info says and not skip a thing. The reason I say this is cause those that use short cuts don't get the points set correctly the first time. ........lm

<http://www.honda305.com/superhawk/ >

cr_monk
honda305.com Member

Post by cr_monk » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:34 pm

I had this same problem for months......how is your spark? Mine was always very weak. I replaced everything in the circuit as well...coil, wires, points, etc. I had bought a "cheap" condensor on eBay. On a whim, I replaced it with different one purchased from Western Hills Honda and this seemed to fix my problem. I went through 5 pairs of plugs and a lot of curse words first. I feel your pain.

Best o luck and keep us up to date.

ctb

summerplace
honda305.com Member

Post by summerplace » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:51 am

:cry: I have the same problem, I did everything back in the mid-80's to my 1965 Honda CA77 dream due to plugs fouling with too much fuel. I over-hauled the engine tried different carbs and nothing worked. I have pulled the bike back out of storage and have lined the tank, changed the condenser, changed the points, plugs, rectifier, rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the fuel valve , and replaced the battery. I have not started the bike yet (waiting for tank liner to completely dry). If the damn thing doesn't run this time it can stay in storage until I pass away and some other fool can replace the hundreds of plugs that I have!!!

cr_monk
honda305.com Member

Post by cr_monk » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:01 pm

This problem seems to be strangly not uncommon???

I wonder if some the of the more experts on this board could speak to it? I'd be curious to here their insight as to what is going on in these situations?

thanks to all.
ctb

Gary Bergerson
honda305.com Member

Ruining plugs in 10 minutes

Post by Gary Bergerson » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:10 am

I had this same thing happen to me on both a Step thru-90 and on a 305.
In both cases, the problem ceased as soon as I backed the tappets off
1/2 to 1full turn. I had previously set the valve clearances on both these
motors meticulously to the spec. I had those little orange boxes all over
my garage.

summerplace
honda305.com Member

Post by summerplace » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:05 pm

Follow-up, my 1965 dream is running very well now, wish I could say which thing I did ti fix it. Runs good, but now air adjustment screw must be run almost all the way in for it to run properly. Any ideas there?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home