Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

not bulletproof

Post by jleewebb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:21 am

So now you know you're not bulletproof...a valuable lesson for a young rider...or a geezer like me who sometimes feels 19 again when adrenaline kicks in...could have been lots worse, I'm sure. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. --Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

mike horvath
honda305.com Member

Post by mike horvath » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Hey Lee,
I wished I could feel 19 again! I wished I could feel 40 again! Go geezers go!

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:34 pm

You are young, Scott, and you will heal quickly. In thirty years your grand-children will love to hear you tell about the time you low-sided your Super Hawk and got up to ride again.

In the mean-time, all the best!

Wilf

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:00 am

Hi Scott,

As personal damage appears mostly under the skin, so it is with motorcycles.
Be sure to measure and check lining of the front / rear wheel, check straightness of the forks (front and rear), check steering head for smooth turning. The frame of the CB's are not very strong, but easily to straighten out, forks also.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Thank you for the support everyone. The bike loosened up quite a bit in the fall. I believe the forks might have been ever so slightly as well as the front fender. Tightening everything back down might do the trick with a little bit of bending.

I'll have to get the fork covers that attach to the headlight re-powdercoated since the tangs that the light bolts to bend a slight crease right there. Nothing too big though.

Gonna pull some stuff off today with the help of friend who has two working arms ; )
jensen wrote:As personal damage appears mostly under the skin, so it is with motorcycles.
Be sure to measure and check lining of the front / rear wheel, check straightness of the forks (front and rear), check steering head for smooth turning. The frame of the CB's are not very strong, but easily to straighten out, forks also. Jensen

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:59 am

Both times (the only times!) I dropped my CB77, at 16, were in similar lay-it-down situations such as yours, Scott. The only structural damage sustained by the bike was a twist in the fork legs, much like that of a bicycle; slackening off the legs' pinch bolts in the bottom yoke (triple-tree) and knocking the front wheel against a wall, using the handlebar, fixed the flaw in each case.

Hope the pain's subsiding!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:34 pm

FastFred hooked me up with a box of parts I've been dying to get ahold of for a great price. Been doing alot of stripping, painting, and polishing to get them back to their original condition.

Can't wait to replace previous owner's CL kickstart with the proper CB!
Attachments
old-parts.jpg
Last edited by Spargett on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home