□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:19 am

Scott-mate, what a right bummer! Really sorry to hear of your tumble, but glad the bike suffered little; especially after all your hard work!

Heal well & keep warm.

Your speedo/tacho cluster is on its way.

Rgds, Steve

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:32 am

Hi Scott,

Da's pech hebben, I hope you're alright soon.

Beterschap,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:00 am

Time will fix you and you can fix the bike.
Do get in touch if ya need more help with the bike. ...............lm

Spargett wrote:On Sunday the 3rd, I was in an accident.

I was riding in some beautiful rolling scenery of the Sierra Nevada foothills. As I approached the crest of a tall hill there was an immediate sharp left turn. I wasn't able to slow down or make the turn fast enough. I low-sided after holding onto the edge of the road for as long as I could.

I suffered a broken clavicle, bruised lung, hematomas, and misc. lacerations. The ER thought my spleen was ruptured, but it turned out to be okay.

I was able to repair the minor damage the bike endured on the side of the road by replacing the snapped clutch lever with the front brake lever, and using the rear brake. I then road approx two hours to the hospital.

I was amazed by how little damage there was to the bike. I'll have to repaint the left crankcase (one large scratch), chrome headlight ring is scratched, new left side grip, new clutch lever, slightly bent handlebar, and bent shift lever. It got me all the way home without missing a beat after taking quite a hit, after firing right up first try and idling once I was able to muster the strength to pick her up with a badly broken collarbone.

Lesson learned: Never assume a road is going to continue on it's expected course unless you can see so visually.

I'll be out for a few weeks at least for a very painful recovery, but look forward to riding again as soon as possible. Fortunately I'm young (26 years old) and in great shape, hopefully I can heal quickly enough to start wrenching soon and take this opportunity to have a few things improved that I've been meaning to do. Make the proverbial lemonade.

Stay safe, and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Here's to doing this again soon!

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:05 pm

Tough deal, Scott. Glad you both can be pieced back together. Best wishes, Chase

mike horvath
honda305.com Member

Post by mike horvath » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Now Spargett.....
How many times have I told you never assume you can handle the track if your unfamiliar with it!?
Now doesn't that sound just like a dad? Hey seriously, glad you are here and able to tell the story, it could have been a lot worse. We pray for a speedy recovery, but don't hurry it. That clavicle stuff aint to be messed with. Keep us posted as to your recovery.
Mike

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:29 am

Scott,

Ouch! Heal up soon!!

Take care,

Gunner

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:59 am

Hi Scott, Bad break in both ways, you and the bike. Take your time healing, don't try and hurry it, you'll be better for it. The bike can be fixed as you well know, you already did the hard part. Glad you are going to be alright. CliffC

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home