Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CB72

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sat May 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Screw connector goes to the chrome headlight trim ring. There should be a tab with a hole for it to attach to.

davomoto

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Sat May 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Hmm, my chrome trim is being rechromed at the moment but there's no tab on it for any screw attachment, neither is anything shown in the parts manual?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sat May 30, 2009 2:46 pm

Here's a pic of what it should look like.

davomoto
Attachments
MVC-001F.JPG

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Sat May 30, 2009 3:00 pm

Brilliant! Thank you!

I wondered what that bit was for :-)

Thanks to all for the replies, hopefully tomorrow the lights will all be working :-)

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39665805@N05/4174697864/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39665805@N05/4173939281/

Been a while since my last update and it doesn't actually look much different, however since the last photos...

Bottom end stripped to fit kickstart pawl, kickstart assembly now works
Right spring sourced for gear shift mechanism, fitted and working
Silencers fitted
Handlebar sorted - lever clamps weren't gripping properly
Valve gaps adjusted
Throttle cable fitted and adjusted
Rear brake sorted (currently awaiting rear brake switch for final fitting)

I wish the silencers were as good as they looked, there are a couple of areas where the metal is really thin and the chrome is already bubbling, but not much can be done about that.

Just need to rebuild petrol tap, sort a spark out and see if it goes. Oh and fit a working rectifier and sort that bit of the wiring.

Missing a horn if anybody has one. Might also need a rear brake switch, the one I have matches the parts diagram but I've been told that it should have two wires attached to it - the one I have has two male bullets on top of it so looks like somebody fitted the wrong one in the past.

Other small issue I have is that the lower fork shrouds aren't a completely snug fit and can be moved by hand from side to side a small amount, think I'll end up packing them with something where the sit in the chome belt - surely some free play must be designed in as these have to have enough leeway for the steering head bearing adjustment.

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:51 pm

Looking good. Make sure to add an extra washer at the top of your rear shocks so they can't slip off.

Here's a brake switch that should work for you on eBay. My bike came with two male bullets as well.

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 am

A bit more progress. Thanks to a forum member I now have a horn, fitted but waiting on me getting some bullet connectors to fix the wiring.

Today I was going to start it for the first time, all that was left to do was set the ignition timing, which after a bit of fiddling I've managed to do. Fit the petrol tank, turn on the tap, wait a few seconds and press starter... except - fuel started to leak badly out of the left hand carb. It looks like its coming from the float bowl seal. I did crank the bike a few times but no fuel was reaching the right hand plug and with the left carb leaking it'll have to wait for another day. So much for the vapour blasting guy saying "I've set these up just bolt them on". Shouldn't take long to whip them off and check the float heights as I'm guessing that and a bad seal on the bowl are the most likely culprits. Still some progress though, I was dubious about the coils/condensors but I'm seeing a healthy spark.

It's -2c in my unheated garage so currently warming up!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home