□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Hey guys, sorry to report that she's not being ridden. A number of factors contributed to the delay, one of the main being the loss of the garage I was working in.

The good news is, all that's left is installing the e-ignition, sorting out some wiring issues, slight modification of the gas tank (need to cut the reserve hole short and drill through, (the kreem liner froze solid in there - I curse that stuff), tuning the brakes, and tuning the carbs.

I also sent off my original rear brake cable to Motion Pro here in California. They'll be able to build a new housing using the existing cable. I've yet to find someone that actually makes a nice reproduction that functions properly.

I'll tell you though, I can't wait to ride her as much as possible. I'll be moving to New York soon, who's winter seasons are a tad less forgiving than California's.
jensen wrote:Hi,

Is she finished ? Are you riding her ?
I (we) am (are) curious how things are going .

Jensen

marzini
honda305.com Member

Post by marzini » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:00 pm

The excellent documentation and zeal you've brought to this forum through your CB restoration process is priceless, Spargett!
'62 CB77, '76 XT500

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:57 pm

Sorry for the large delay in posts. Been so busy taking care of the final aspect of the bike, as well as life. Feel free to check out my Flickr page to see a few updates I wasn't able to post on here.

CB77 Restoration Photostream - Flickr

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:02 pm

So, I got her running. After installing the e-ignition, I went ahead, held my breath, and depressed the starter button. She fired right up.

The speedo/tach are possessed. That made tuning the carbs very hard without a working tach to monitor. Had to do my best by ear. Palo Alto Speedo emailed me back with a one month turn around and an average cost of $250. Not great news. I'm going to call Foreign Speedo in San Diego and see what they say. I have new cables installed with a decent amount of white lithium grease on the ends. Don't know what else I can do on my part.

The knob to adjust the clutch tension seems to be seized in place, so I can't adjust my clutch tension, which is the reason for the ambient noise you'll hear while the bike is in neutral. As soon as I pull the lever in (with lots of strength), or shift to a different gear, the sound goes away. Is this just symptomatic of a poorly adjusted cable?

There's also a very slight bell like "dinging" sound when the bike is revved. I tracked that back to the rear shock collars gently vibrating against the shock body.

Enjoy the video. She rode like a champ today. I absolutely can not way to get all the little bugs sorted out.

Last edited by Spargett on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mike horvath
honda305.com Member

resto

Post by mike horvath » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:03 pm

Hey jleeweb,
You calling me a geezer!?
Ha Ha

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Does anyone have any tips on breaking in the motor? I've read this:

MOTOR BREAK-IN: A) Run the bike at 45 mph / 4500 RPM or less (& VARY engine RPM) for first 200 MI; B) Next 200 mi., run up to 55 MPH & 5500 RPM & vary engine speed. After 450-500 Mi., change oil & run at gradually increasing RPM. I did not exceed 6500 rpm until 1500 miles. Use "synthetic oil" only after the rings "seat" (after 2,000-plus miles) and with new engine case seals (old seals tend to "weap" with synthetic more easily). Synthetic oil terminates any “seating” process(es) for valves or rings!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Here's a shot of it parked after a short ride today. Snapped with my phone quickly.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home