Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1966 sidecover removal

ozarkian5
honda305.com Member

1966 sidecover removal

Post by ozarkian5 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:01 pm

I am trying to get sidecovers off my bike that has been sitting out in weather for 25 years. Both knobs are froze, and I have already damaged one knob and noticed toolbox is pretty rusted. Is there a source for replacement toolbox and knobs? Ebay seems to mostly have someone elses junk.

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:48 pm

You can still find knobs here and there, but they don't make them anymore. So what you get is N.O.S. or, of course, somebody elses junk.
You want to save the ones you have if you can. Here's a tip. Rust is not solulable in petroleum products. If you can get back around there, squirt some water, or use a sponge to soak the frozen threads. If you've already used WD40 or something like it, use soapy water to get rid of it.
If you can tap on the back end of the knob while you try to work it, you may get it out. Don't tap on the plastic part, It's a lot more brittle than it used to be! Good luck. If they do break off, there's someone on the board who's got some. Some have the "HM" logo, some are blank.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home