□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Right Crankshaft Seal

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Tip for all if my memory is correct. For pulling the rotor, one of the axles (can't remember if it is front or rear) has the correct thread to screw into the rotor and pull it off so you don't need to buy a separate puller.
Model-year dependent. Both of mine are the wrong size.

eyhonda
honda305.com Member

Post by eyhonda » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:11 am

I believe that the thread is a 16mm, 1.50 pitch. I have a rear axle from a cb175 that fit. Then I measured it with a caliper. I ordered a 50mm long bolt through Fastenal. Hopefully, my measurements are correct. Mike69, can you verify the thread on the bolts you have?
63 cb77 cafe
www.eyhonda.com

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:44 am

Hi Steve,

early dream front axle will fit,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

dkwilfert
honda305.com Member

Post by dkwilfert » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:16 am

eyhonda wrote:I believe that the thread is a 16mm, 1.50 pitch. I have a rear axle from a cb175 that fit. Then I measured it with a caliper. I ordered a 50mm long bolt through Fastenal. Hopefully, my measurements are correct. Mike69, can you verify the thread on the bolts you have?
Ran into a delay on changing my seal (hurt my back), but when I get back to the bike I'll do a good measurement of the threads on my rotor; I have a set of metric thread pitch guages and micrometer for diameter. FYI, the new seal I got off EBay is soft and pliable so I am hoping for a good result assuming no burr on the crank. While in there for that job, I'm going to pull the starter motor and give it and the overrunning clutch a good look/cleanup to be sure everything in there is OK. Like I posted earlier, I'll post a followup when I get the job done. Again, thanks to all for the help/suggestions.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:50 am

The thread is identical to the electrical gland PG9; I made my own 'puller' using such a gland: http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... r&start=20
Not so much a 'puller' as a 'popper'! It works every time though.....

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Steve, what's a "gland"?

e3steve wrote :The thread is identical to the electrical gland PG9;

Just started watching "state of play" a political mini series from the BBC last night (found it in my local library, a good source for British tv dramas and comedy's ---I love Jeeves and Wooster) and I wish I had a slang translator cause there wasn't a sentence without a "bogs"; "top her self" or "do his nut" that I have no idea what their talking about.

My dad used to say we were "scotch, Irish, Yankees" and he used yankee as meaning people from England and I have always felt an affinity to the British even tho we are "two nations separated by a common language". I have tried to find a British twin for the last 30 years, but here in Oregon you just don't see them for sale and especially a fixer-upper like I could afford; Japanese bikes are everywhere. In fact the weather here (rain for six month's then drought for six months) makes fixer-uppers, people leave them out doors here for a winter and presto you have a fixer-upper, and one with a little work and you have a running bike. My late brother-in-law and me in the late 80's and early 90's bought and fixed-up over 300 bike's and outside of one AMF Harley and a couple Peugeot's (we called them pig-aught's) all were Japanese; not a Triumph in the bunch. As we were professional Shade Tree Mechanics, we had a lot of short cuts to getting bikes running that would make people on this forum cringe (how about boring a cylinder out to the next size using a large brake hone, takes a little time.:-)

Speaking of leaking, the difference between the brit bikes and jap bikes is the jap's take 40+ years and the brit's leaked on the show room floor;I'm sorry to say.

Just had a thought; maybe there is slang translator on the web, sure would help my dvd viewing?

Clarence

"Only mad dogs and English men go out in the noon-day sun" some obscure movie about the English in out-back Australia

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:52 am

Interesting anecdotes, Clarence. And oh-so-true about leaky Brit bikes!

A 'gland' is a piece of cable entry sealing hardware -- follow my link in the previous post and scroll down to my post there with the photos.
...and I wish I had a slang translator cause there wasn't a sentence without a "bogs"; "top her self" or "do his nut" that I have no idea what their talking about.
"bogs" : toilets/lavatories
"top" : commit suicide
"do his nut" : spin out/go crazy

To Brits, "Yankees" refers to anyone from the USA. It's not usually a derogatory term; a bit like us being Limeys (limes were employed as a 'cure' for the scurvy incurred during the Atlantic crossings on board early sailing ships).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

Good weekend!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home