□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Will not start!

eyhonda
honda305.com Member

Post by eyhonda » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:45 pm

I just did. The seller noted that the coils measured about 7-8k. So it sounds like my coils are ok anyway. The caps are normally 5-10k. So the ignition is ok!!! Arghhh. Back to carbs again! I took apart the carbs and petcock. I found some small debris which was remnant from my recent tank rinsing. The tank needs a little more rinsing. When the rust gets chemically "removed" or mixed with the acid, it actually turns into black bits of metal. I blew out the carbs and petcock with compressed air. I will try it again tomorrow.
63 cb77 cafe
www.eyhonda.com

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:02 pm

We put two small in-line filters on the fuel lines. It sure beats cleaning the carbs over an over. I also took the banjo joints apart and removed the screens that were in these. They were half pugged anyway. With in-line filters you shouldn't need these.

Here is a post with a good discussion of carb adjustment. I adjusted my carbs like Loud Mouse said to adjust them. There is a picture in the post that shows what it should look like.

http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2906

Good luck, Gunner

eyhonda
honda305.com Member

Post by eyhonda » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 am

I will recheck the level using that method and will clean out the banjo fittings. I didn't know there were filters in there. Maybe I can take out the filter in the petcock too? I called Loud Mouse and we went over a few things. The cam timing is correct. He suggested to use starting fluid. I haven't used that stuff for years! Never had this much trouble starting an old bike - never. Anyway, the starting fluid didn't fire it either. So now we're back to the ignition. I am waiting on a set of matching coils. I will try it again then. Stay posted. I'm giving it a break for now.
63 cb77 cafe
www.eyhonda.com

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:20 am

Sometimes you have to know when to walk away, before you find a very large hammer in your hand......

eyhonda
honda305.com Member

Post by eyhonda » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 pm

I know! Sometimes I just want to kick it over!

I thought about it more and the only thing I wasn't at least 90% sure on was the compression. The numbers I have (125 L & 150 R) is with oil squirted in. So I tried it dry and with the throttle wide open. Well the numbers tell all. I got 70 L and 60 R!! That solves that. Bad rings. Time for a top end rebuild. I should go for bigger pistons (337cc?). It will be a fun winter. Thanks for all the responses.
63 cb77 cafe
www.eyhonda.com

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:08 am

Hi,

I see three different readings, how exactly did you measure the compression ?

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

eyhonda
honda305.com Member

Post by eyhonda » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:33 am

Three? Should be only two. First time with oil, second without.

I took out both plugs, threaded in the gauge, choke off/open, throttle open (no filters) and hit starter for a few seconds until measurement peaks.
63 cb77 cafe
www.eyhonda.com

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home