Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Restoration Blog: CB77 No. 1039XX

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Inty
honda305.com Member

Post by Inty » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:06 pm

This is a great thread for me to read as I have recently been re-interested in bringing my 1963 CB77 back to rider status.

I'm interested to hear how the rest of this project is coming along. Great pics and great documentation. I thoroughly enjoyed the read!

swampyankee
honda305.com Member

Post by swampyankee » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey Bob,
I was just checking in to see how you're doing with your Superhawk project. Hopefully, you've been making some progress thru this cold, New England winter.
Neil
Bikes:
'79 BMW R100RS
'03 HD Sportster 883R
'66 Benelli Sprite
'64 Honda CL72/CL77 motor

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Well I'm back at it after Life got in the way.

I'm just about to re-assemble the engine. I cobbled up a home-made media blasting box over the weekend and will try it out on the cases and covers after work this week.

When re-assembling the case halves, what is the best sealant to use? Silver's book says Honda Three-Bond but is that the last word?

Once the engine is together I'll rebuild the fork and rear shocks. Does the Honda Shop Manual have instructions on how to disassemble these parts? Which is the best version of the Shop Manual to get for my bike?

Thanks.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:42 am

Hi Bob,

Nice thread, good to have pictures too.

"One part I do need and haven't found yet is an oil filter cover - the round cover that screws into the clutch cover. Anyone?"

Did you bought ist already ? Is the clutch cover has a small or a big hole ?
I'll probably have one for you if needed.

You wrote that there was a lot of carbon on the head and pistons, but you also concluded that the bores where fine. Carbon is burned oil, so find out where it's coming from. There are a few possibility's:

a too cold plug installed, the engine never got a chance to burn itself clean or never ridden fast (high rpm) so the engine couldn't get hot enough to burn itself clean.

worn valve guide / valve combination
worn piston rings or oil scrape ring
too much piston to cylinder clearance
too big gap in the piston rings (worn cylinder bore)
too smooth surface in the bore, it has to have a hone structure

measure everything carefully, it's worth the time, because if you wanted a smoking bike you would have bought a stroker I guess.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Yes, Hondabond is the last word.

davomoto

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:47 pm

After a 4-year hiatus involving two start-up businesses, relocation to Virginia, and three other bikes bought and sold, I am back to my restoration project. The (new) wife and I hope to finish the job this summer before the new school year starts. Am currently riding a 2001 Blackbird as my main transportation.

Just finished blasting/cleaning/flushing the crankcases, will paint them tomorrow, then on to reassembling the internals. Pics to come soon.

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Ok, now we're a week into it. Upper and lower crankcases painted over the weekend. Tuesday/Wednesday nights we assembled the transmission parts, and tonight we installed the shift drum/forks and the transmission into the upper half, and found neutral. A picture is below.

Next step is to clean up and prep the crankshaft assembly for installation. The only part of this that I took off back in 2007 was the roller bearing assembly (actually it fell off when removing the crank from the case). After six years in a box full of foam peanuts, the whole assembly needs a thorough cleaning and oiling. I don't even want to try turning the dry ball bearings until they are cleaned and oiled.

The question for today is, I think I'm missing at least one 7x12 knock pin, as shown at the bottom of the lower photo. I can't seen all the locations of the knock pins in the parts catalog, but all the other bearings have some, so I assume that it should, too. It is possible that I never had it, as there is a little shine on the upper cover where the bearing's outer race may have turned a little.

If I'm right, then where can I get one? Also, the parts catalog says there are 5 of these pins in the motor, but I can only find places for 3 of them. The 7x12 pins in the bottom of the center bearing journals do not fit in the holes just above them. Are there pins that should go into those holes, too?

Thanks.

Image[/img]

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home