honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

30W Non-detergent - Or is there something better?

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Re: Better oil

Post by e3steve » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:55 am

conbs wrote:The passion of those posting is part of what has made this thread so intereting.... and so long.

My point is that there is that "science" may not tell us all because scinece doesn't know it all.

Vinyl records may sound better, but I haven't found a way to e-mail them yet. I can download any digital recording or e-mail them to anyone. They have utility - as a method to transmit sound - that vinyl will never enjoy.

But, the analog recording on vinyl has MORE information than a digital recording. If record a signal from a vinyl recording into the digital realm like a CD, the digital recording would be at its full potential, but still be missing some of the information that was on the vinyl. If I then record that digital recording back onto vinyl it will not have all of the information that was on the original vinyl recording. It loses something in the translation.

Back to oil. Is there something about the natural polymer chains that might provide benefits that can not be acheived with modern or synthetic oils? I don't know the answer. For those who are quick to say, "Well, the science proves...." maybe we don't have all the tests to measure everything we might want to know. Case in point: Redwood seconds have now been replaced with Saybolt seconds (or whatever it is).

In my mind natural substances almost always have benefits that get removed in extensive processing or that synthesized substances can't match. Limiting refined sugars and refined carbohydrates generally leads to better health.

I am really intrigued by the technical information that has been shared on this thread regarding modern oils. So much so that I copied down information about what modern oils I might want to use. But, Gun is right that 305's are not performance machines in the modern sense. From that standpoint, it seems like no one should dismiss the potential for regular old 30w to do things for these old machines that modern oils can't do. It is most likely that we don't know everything there is to know about oil and lubrication. Only what "science" has figured out so far.
A superbly-stated series of comments!

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:02 am

Hi steve and appeltje

Look what you've done :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-SU ... ccessories

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:28 am

Hahahaha! Not our fault.....

He's had those at that price for weeks. I emailed him to ask if they were 'magnetic'; he replied "they're Honda NOS parts" and that was that! So bollocks to him.......

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 am

Hi steve,

The disadvantage of a standard magnetic plus is the magnetic strength of it.
Another problem is the fact that when you screw it out, the hardened pieces of steel can come in between the soft plug and even softer case, this can do harm to your case.

Jensen

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks J-man; that's helped me make up my mind to fabricate one, as you did.

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 pm

dang, sometimes you guys just take it to far :) ive never found myself scared of doing damage removing or installing the magnetic drain plug on an automobile transmission. in my experience the magnetic strength in relation to the size of the metal bits is very strong, and takes some serious whipping with a rag to remove. never had those bits "fall off" and go into the threads, it dosent hurt that the surfaces are being flushed with exiting oil upon removal.

i do prefer this style for obvious reasons, but honestly guys.....
i run this style on my car oil pan, doubt were lucky enough to have this option unless something can be cross referenced.
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi steve,

I was talking about the cheap Chinese plugs,
with the magnet glued to the metal.

If you make something yourself, you are forced to think about the function it has to have,
and then there's a possibility you make it even better.

Jensen

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home