Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi,

Not to help you anymore, but in genaral if restoring a wiring loome I found an cheap way (yes, I'm dutch), just pick a few used wiring looms at ebay or at the local mortorcycle wreck yard, preferably from an old honda.

Because honda uses the colors per function, any wiring loom has almost all the colors you need.
Just cut the wire you need (including the needed plug) and solder it (invisible within the hose) on your own loom.

1 it's dead cheap and easy to get.
2 everything looks old and original.
3 you don't need special crimp tools etc.
4 everthing fits like a gloove, it's original
5 most of the time a complet loom also contains intresting parts like the rubber boots for small bulbs, the plastic hoses etc.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:11 pm

Good call, J-man!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanks for all your helpful advice with the wiring and aluminum fix. I just got off the phone with Loud Mouse and he dropped a few simple pearls of wisdom on me the brackets of the brake levers need to be parallel to each other so that each pad engages at the same time. The rod in between doesn't serve much function.

As far as the rear hub goes, Fast Fred (a community member here) came through with a spare he had. Sold it to me for the great price of $15. It's prob the dirtiest hub I've laid eyes on, but it's also 100% intact, so I'm more than pleased. I spend last night disassembling and cleaning it. Tonight I'll move on to polishing and we should be back in business in the rear.

Thanks again to everyone's input at this point. I'm beginning to really understand the slogan "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".

It seems like the part where all the underlying issues wake from their dormancy to rear their ugly heads. I get closer and closer as the days go one and I am determined to weed them out one at a time. If only there were 48 hours in a day.
jensen wrote:Hi,

try this for your bracket.
I have good experiences with it.

http://www.durafix.com/

jensen

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks again Fred for the hub. She's cleaned up pretty well thus far. Gonna be sanding and re-polishing tonight. It had a layer of some sort of clear coat on it that a paint stripper made short work up topside.

I suspect it's the first time this things has been disassembled.
Attachments
IMG_6093.jpg
IMG_6100.jpg
IMG_6105.jpg

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:17 pm

Fast Fred fixed me up with a part I was having problems getting. Them old parts clean up real well. It looks like you are getting close, keep plugging away!

Gunner

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:04 am

Hi,

Is she finished ? Are you riding her ?
I (we) am (are) curious how things are going .

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

ditto

Post by jleewebb » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:00 am

jensen wrote:Hi,

Is she finished ? Are you riding her ?
I (we) am (are) curious how things are going .

Jensen
ditto ditto ditto ditto...que pasa amigo? Hope you're just too busy riding to post. --Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home