honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Someone save me from strangling my dream ;)

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
cr_monk
honda305.com Member

Someone save me from strangling my dream ;)

Post by cr_monk » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:10 am

I've spent 2 full weekends on this now and its driving me nutz! <br />Wisdom and insight would be GREATLY appreciated.<br /><br />Here's the story:<br /><br />67' Dream running perfectly. All of a sudden during acceleration she starts puttering out. When I get her home, bike won't start. Prior to this, adjustment of the idle/throttle screw did NOTHING....so I figured the carb was messed. I had been planning to rebuild her anyway, so I pulled the carb. She looked pretty good, but I had a Keyster rebuild kit so I did it anyway. I put carb back together and she still won't turn over. I check for spark (which I should have done in the first place) and don't have any. So....I replace the plugs, check the points, clean um and reset um and also replace the condenser (which I'm pretty sure was the original problem). <br /><br />Bike now starts right away but has very low spark (not real sure what it SHOULD look like). She idles pretty well when started but sputters when ridden and idle races up after RPM has been put to it and it stays high. All the adjustments in the carbs screws either have it racing or kill it.<br /><br />I need help!<br />Much thanks!

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Re: Someone save me from strangling my dream ;)

Post by kustommusic » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:55 pm

cr_monk, Sounds like you had a ignition problem but now have a carb. problem! You need to check to make sure your slide isn't sticking(this is what it sounds like to me) Possibly you've overtightened the carb. mounting nuts and distorted the body of the carb. Others may have a thought on this too,hope so. Good Luck, Steve Greer

cr_monk
honda305.com Member

Post by cr_monk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:09 pm

I did pull the carb again and checked the slide....to the best of my knowledge, seemed to be functioning well. The over-tightening of the carb is interesting though....I didn't realize that could be an issue?<br /><br />much thanks for your reply!

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:14 pm

Monk, Yes it can happen! The way you describe it you must have an air leak if not a sticking slide. How about the carb. isolator? Does it have good O-rings? When you put that carb back on just snug it and see if that doesn't do the trick. Steve

prima5star
honda305.com Member

Post by prima5star » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:54 pm

incorrect Carb Needle position causes all sorts of problems just like those you describe...<br /><br />Matt
Matt

Also into Alfa Romeo Giuliettas and Giulias! Looking for a Giulia Super.

cr_monk
honda305.com Member

Post by cr_monk » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:28 pm

OK....here's the follow-up.<br /><br />Took carb apart again and checked everything (including needle setting). Cleaned every nook and crany and ONCE AGAIN made sure the slide worked properly. This time I was gentle when putting the nuts on holding the carb.<br /><br />Bike now maintains a nice idle. I really do think the over tightening of the nuts was an issue. Thanks again for suggesting to check that out.<br /><br />Bike though is still sputtering out when you put a load on it? It doesn't accelerate like it should.<br /><br />Does anyone have any thoughts on my &quot;low spark&quot; issue...what SHOULD it look like on this bike? Could a faulty ignition coil be part of this equation...or not?<br /><br />Should I move this over to the ignition section or do you guys think it is still a carb issue?<br /><br />Once again....much appreciated!

cr_monk
honda305.com Member

Post by cr_monk » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:16 am

another follow up...<br /><br />plugs seem to be fouling up easily (black and slightly wet)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home