□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Yeah, some of the wiring has been replaced with non standard. It's pretty obvious which ones are brand new to the naked eye. I can make a list if you'd like.
e3steve wrote:Or have some of the wiring colours been replaced with non-std?

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:22 pm

(and as always, click the image to view full size)

Here's the brakes flipped over.

I noticed this on the shoes today. This was there the last time I pulled them off. I assumed it was from the engine degreaser leaving some sort of film, but it has since been cleaned throughly with brake cleaner.

I was playing with the levering, and it seems like if the arms are extended out in this initial position, the shoes will extend farther enough to make a stronger contact. I placed the arms back into the almost 90° position they were initially in and noticed that didn't extend the shoes much when the lever was pulled in. Do you think this could this have been the issue?

The only new problem is the spring that grabs under the arm isn't tight enough to hold on from the apparently more efficient position.

Here's a shot of me holding the camera with one hand and trying to pull the lever in the all the way from the new position.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or experiences you've had in relation to this. Thanks!
LOUD MOUSE wrote:The brake arms are wrong side out and I would like to see a oic of how the shoes are adjusted on the inside of the plate. ............lm

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:06 am

Spargett wrote:Yeah, some of the wiring has been replaced with non standard. It's pretty obvious which ones are brand new to the naked eye. I can make a list if you'd like.
e3steve wrote:Or have some of the wiring colours been replaced with non-std?
Oh dear.....

OK, check continuity from the wires that you have to the grounding points on each item up there in order to identify those items' earthing wires:
  • Instrument cluster
    Headlamp beam unit/connection
Unless you/PO added one, there's no grounding wire from frame datum*; factory wiring relied, it appears, upon the headlamp being grounded to the instruments' casing and, in turn, getting their own grounding from the tacho drive. EDIT: and/or steering race(s).

*I'd advise adding proper grounding: obtain about 4ft of 16 or 17AWG green wire and a foot of 3/16" white heatshrink tubing. Lift the tank off and you'll observe a factory grounding point at one of the ignition coil bracket screws; route the green wire through the harness sleeve, mark it each end with about a half-inch of the heatshrink and attach to said screw. Replace the wrongly-coloured grounding wires inside the bucket and heatshrink the ends in a similar way. Store the leftovers for future use.

If you need the proper wiring terminations to make the job really pukka, http://www.vintageconnections.com/ have all you need. Try to keep any wiring and/or changes in OEM colours.
Last edited by e3steve on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:12 am

Hi,

try this for your bracket.
I have good experiences with it.

http://www.durafix.com/

jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

chico
honda305.com Member

brakes

Post by chico » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:36 am

on my 66 cb 77 the brake levers and brake shafts have crosponding punch marks for alinement.

chico
66 cb77

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: brakes

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:00 am

Compare your levers to the ones in the pic. ...............lm

chico wrote:on my 66 cb 77 the brake levers and brake shafts have crosponding punch marks for alinement.

chico
66 cb77

chico
honda305.com Member

brakes

Post by chico » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:09 am

must be the difference in years. just thought i could help, sorry.

chico
66cb77[/quote]

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home