Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

sticky clutch

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

Re: sticky clutch

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:57 am

The cable is the same length as the original that I replaced. Seems to be routed ok.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:03 am

Thanks. I wondered cause I've seen many cables that were to long and they caused a binding because of a sort of "over 90 degree bend". ..........LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:32 am

Mouse- Changing from the old to the new cable did not change my problem when this problem started. Since the problem occurred in both my engines I'm assuming this problem is common on these old bikes. Unless I put all new metal and fiber plates I may not be able to rule those out. I did buy a set of the fiber disks and had put them in my other engine but it still did the same thing. These disks were the old style with no aluminum core, but being they were new they still should have worked o.k. I was told the fiber only disks did have inherent problems causing Honda to ad the aluminum core. Is it possible to still purchase the metal core disks and the metal clutch disks from one of the vintage suppliers? I have not checked on this yet. I have actually put the bike away for the winter. I still have my other engine to put back together this winter. thanks

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:28 am

Honda has a superceded disc that they sell for aroud $21.00+-.<br />In the old days we left the wires out cause Honda changed the thickness of the disc. Did they install easily?. ..........LM<br />
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:40 am

I did have aliittle trouble getting the clip on and it did seem to have alot of drag on that first disk so I took the ting off. But that clutch is on the bench waiting to be put back on my other engine. I did not try the clutch pack yet with new disks and clips off. The disks I got on ebay are 4mm. This seems to be the same thickness as the aluminum core ones that were on the bike. Also, my engine in use now had the old style fiber disks on it since it was the older engine and I replaced them with some used aluminum core ones.What disks do recommend to use and what part # are they? Is that$ 21.00 for each?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:09 am

If you put the metal ones in the other clutch along with the springs it's possable that is the problem. That was a problem back in the 60's. 3mm vs 4mm. I have the current ones in the shop and will get back to you. Yep! $21.00 EACH. I have several of the centers here. No wires, 2wires, 3 wires then came the cush drive with 2 wires and you can tell it cause there is a raised ring in the center and pressure plate and the pressure plate has 4 holes drilled at the center area that the earlier ones don't have. The first pressure plate had 2 steel pins and small springs that held the last fiber disc somehow but the springs were a bear to install so Honda dropped that idea. ..........LM
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

FLYHAVEN2001
honda305.com Member

Post by FLYHAVEN2001 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:37 am

Mouse do you feel it could be just the inner disks that are sticking and not the whole pack? Also, I have torn four of these clutch packs apart and they have all had the clips on them. The only difference in one was the all fiber disk. The other three had the fiber disks witht metal centers and same clip set up.Would the way it is oiled have any efffect. Could there be any reason it is not getting enough oil?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home