Admirers

Help! cl77 carb-Needle Jet Holder position

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
dux66
honda305.com Member

Needle jet

Post by dux66 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks rpr851r
The bike has been modified but the engine is stock all but the exhaust. Even then they are still stock pipes and still have the stock plugs/ mufflers in the exhaust tips. I have tried jets from 130 135 140 and 145 and do not seem to notice much different, Yes i thought maybe that my pod type air filters could cause a lean condition so i have jetted then up to see if it helps and it does not. I am no expert on 305's, do many people run a jet more the a 145? I will try again tomorrow; i will install the 145s again and put the needle back to the stock setting. I tried this today but lost all of my low end power. The bike ran poor , it would not even build enough rpms to even shift out of first gear. Another question i do have is that after reading some posts and reading through bill silvers 305 guide one thing that is stated is that "if you can start the bike without the choke and it runs and idles great then there is something wrong". My bike starts great on the first kick and sits and purrs with no back firing or popping through the carbs. Does this mean there is something wrong?? and could that help me solve my other problem. I will keep trying and thanks for all the help guys

Loud mouse. I may have you look at these carbs but I have not given up yet maybe soon but not yet . Thanks for the offer and may just end up taking you up on that thanks.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Needle jet

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 am

Do ta always have the air filters on when ya test?. ........lm

dux66 wrote:Thanks rpr851r
The bike has been modified but the engine is stock all but the exhaust. Even then they are still stock pipes and still have the stock plugs/ mufflers in the exhaust tips. I have tried jets from 130 135 140 and 145 and do not seem to notice much different, Yes i thought maybe that my pod type air filters could cause a lean condition so i have jetted then up to see if it helps and it does not. I am no expert on 305's, do many people run a jet more the a 145? I will try again tomorrow; i will install the 145s again and put the needle back to the stock setting. I tried this today but lost all of my low end power. The bike ran poor , it would not even build enough rpms to even shift out of first gear. Another question i do have is that after reading some posts and reading through bill silvers 305 guide one thing that is stated is that "if you can start the bike without the choke and it runs and idles great then there is something wrong". My bike starts great on the first kick and sits and purrs with no back firing or popping through the carbs. Does this mean there is something wrong?? and could that help me solve my other problem. I will keep trying and thanks for all the help guys

Loud mouse. I may have you look at these carbs but I have not given up yet maybe soon but not yet . Thanks for the offer and may just end up taking you up on that thanks.

dux66
honda305.com Member

needle jet

Post by dux66 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 am

Ya i will ride with them on after i try different settings. I will also try to ride with no airfilters to day and see if that can make a difference
Thanks

dux66
honda305.com Member

needle jet

Post by dux66 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:55 am

Ya i will ride with them on after i try different settings. I will also try to ride with no airfilters to day and see if that can make a difference
Thanks

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:47 am

Try the 140 main, experiment with needle settings, 145 is a huge jump. I still say try stock needles if you have them. One more thoght, run the bike somewhere dark, garage with light out maybe, or wait til night, and look under tank, under seat, rectifier area etc to make sure there is not something grounding out. You will see sparks if there is. I had a similar issue with a bike one time, and the rectifier was grounding out.

davomoto

dux66
honda305.com Member

needle jets

Post by dux66 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:05 pm

Dave

today i found the needels that i first had in the cards. I replaced then and the bike ran the same. so..... but i decided to throw up a hell mary and keep the org needles(clip on middle groove) put 140 mains in the carbs and also took out the org mufflers/plugs out of the tail pipes. I also took off the aftermarket air cleaners off the bike. so again it started on a half kick and sat and purred. idles and reved great. I took it for a ride and its a whole new bike it was pulling throught 7,000 nice and hard. So i decided to put the pod type air filters back on and it made lil difference. It did run better with them off but not alot. So its there any reason why the bike runs and pulls nice in hard through all 4 gears with open exhaust??????
Thanks Aaron

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Post by rpr851r » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Aaron,
Congrats on your success today. From your post it wasn’t clear to me that the improvement came from removing the baffles or the combination of the 140 main jets and stock needles. Did you try to run the bike with the baffles in and the current carb configuration? Also a picture of the baffles used might be interesting. And how do the plugs look?

Rich

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home