Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

cb-77 restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:01 pm

Great video!!

Gunner

305 SH
honda305.com Member

Post by 305 SH » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:53 pm

So how cool is that!!!!!!!!! Looks and sounds like you have the bugs worked out pretty well. Congrats!

Bob

MosquitoJones
honda305.com Member

Post by MosquitoJones » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Looks great JLee! For your endorsement, maybe take a look into the MSF advanced rider course? You do all the riding you would in the beginner MSF without all the "O hai, this is motorcycle" stuff. Many states will waive the riding portion of the license test with an MSF certificate, you only have to take the written. The ARC is also a lot cheaper than the BRC and you get to test your machine on important stuff like emergency braking in the safety of a cordoned-off parking lot (some business owners/cops get freaky around here if you do it in store parking lots, even after hours).

Or if it's been a really long time the BRC is a great course too, but there's classroom stuff involved.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

Thanks

Post by jleewebb » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks to all for kind words on the video...does it look like I need a riding class? Oh, I get it, I still didn't have M endorsement when I wrote post at top of page. I looked into the BRC, but after I rode a bit decided I didn't really need all the basic stuff, it all came back.

So I studied the rule book, took the written test, then came back and took the driving test on an old friend's Honda Rebel, a weird little mini-chopper. Hardest thing about riding it was getting my feet back on the pegs, they're way too far forward for my taste. They didn't want to let me take the test on a bike without turn signals, and the Rebel's rearview mirrors gave me a view of something besides my left elbow. Test itself was a piece of cake, they even let me make an appointment to take it. So it worked out good, my friend took off work and met me at testing site, drove behind me with the nice lady test-administrator. When I tried for license twice back in the day, tests were given by troopers complete with mirrored sunglasses, smokey bear hats, guns, and bad attitudes.

I told my friend he owed me since he was the last person to wreck the Superhawk back in about '74, but only after he'd already volunteered to do it.

MJ, you may have a point about the advanced course, probably should look into it. I suppose it's possible I'm not as good a rider as I think I am. Are any of us?

BTW Texas just passed a law doing away with the motorcycle driving test, mandating the BRC for anyone applying for a new M endorsement beginning in January. So I guess I just got in under the wire.

Thanks, Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Lee,

From you video, it looks like you have no problem riding. It looks like a fun road.

I am weeks away from a half century old and about 15 years ago I took an advanced riders course so I could ride at work on a military installation. It was very good and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't taken one. I watched guys who had big road bikes dance around obstacles by the end of the course.

Gunner

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home