Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Help! cl77 carb-Needle Jet Holder position

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:57 am

If you still have the stock needles, try re-installing them. If not, try moving needle clip up, and or down, and see if there's any improvement.

davomoto

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: needle jet holder

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 am

If ya used the needle of a CB77 KEYSTER kit it is a good one. ...............lm

dux66 wrote:Thanks dave
I am using the Needles that came in the keyester carb rebuild kit for cb77 carbs. The clips is on the second notch as per stock specs and the slides are in correctly and i am not running hoses on the bottom of the float bowls. After reading all the fourms that relate to these problems i am still comming to this wall. The bike starts and runs good and can hold 50mph with no problem but if any throttle is given and under quick acceration the bike just sputter and loses all power. The plugs look great. It almost seems like it is flooding out under power. Thanks for the help

dux66
honda305.com Member

needle jet

Post by dux66 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:58 am

thanks guys
i will start by moving the needle clip up one at a time and then back down if it does not help
I well let you know what i find
thanks again

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Post by rpr851r » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi DUX66,
I looked at Jarl’s photo and thought the needle jet holder as installed looked odd too. The installed needle jet holders in your pictures (with a few threads showing between the carb body and the hex on the holder) look similar to the those that are on the CB77 and CL77 carbs I have. When I saw Jarl’s photo I thought it looked like the wrong needle jet holder was used or the needle jet was missing causing the holder to screw in further than normal but since no one commented on it I figured it was something that might be year specific.
As for a cause to your sputtering problem I read on another post in the forum that the fine mesh screen located in the banjo fitting can cause issues with fuel flow. On my CB77 I was having trouble with one side not getting enough fuel and found out that some varnish had sealed up the screen making it look like cellophane. Once I cleaned the screen fuel flow was good but there is a recommendation in the forum to remove the screen completely and run in line fuel filters. Also check the petcock screen. You might have already but make sure the battery and the charging system are good and check the float level per this post (http://www.honda305.com/forums/viewtopi ... 06&start=0).
Best of luck,
Rich

dux66
honda305.com Member

needle jet ???

Post by dux66 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, Here is what i found out today
I found out that i had the clips on the needle on the second groove from the bottom. So i figured i had found the problem. I moved both clips to the second groove form the top. Started the bike on the first kick and idle great but that’s about it. I tried to ride the bike but could not even get enough RPMS to shift out of first gear. So i figured i would position the clips in every groove till i found out where the bike ran the best. SO after a long hot sweaty day in the Philly heat and humidity the bike seems to run the best on the very last notch to the bottom. the bike starts and idles and revs great. It also rides and shifts nice through the gears its seems to even pull good rpms till about 5,000 rpms then it just starts spitting and sputtering. Also if i get on it pretty hard it will start to miss and sputter. I have adjusted the floats per this forum and i have already removed the fine wire mess in the banjo fittings (thanks rpr851r). I know there is got to be some thing that I am missing. I am so close to getting this bike running great after a long restoration. Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: needle jet ???

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 pm

If ya would like I can look at them and check all the parts. .............lm
dux66 wrote:Thanks for all the help guys, Here is what i found out today
I found out that i had the clips on the needle on the second groove from the bottom. So i figured i had found the problem. I moved both clips to the second groove form the top. Started the bike on the first kick and idle great but that’s about it. I tried to ride the bike but could not even get enough RPMS to shift out of first gear. So i figured i would position the clips in every groove till i found out where the bike ran the best. SO after a long hot sweaty day in the Philly heat and humidity the bike seems to run the best on the very last notch to the bottom. the bike starts and idles and revs great. It also rides and shifts nice through the gears its seems to even pull good rpms till about 5,000 rpms then it just starts spitting and sputtering. Also if i get on it pretty hard it will start to miss and sputter. I have adjusted the floats per this forum and i have already removed the fine wire mess in the banjo fittings (thanks rpr851r). I know there is got to be some thing that I am missing. I am so close to getting this bike running great after a long restoration. Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks

rpr851r
honda305.com Member

Post by rpr851r » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Hey Dux,
I went back to some of your previous posts and see that the bike I think you are working on is modified quite a bit. If it is the same bike it might be important for folks to know that you are running straight exhausts and pod type air filters since they can affect jetting. On further thought on your discovery today that the bike runs better with the needles raised all the way up has me believing that you are suffering from a lean condition that moving the needle can’t compensate for. Try larger main jets and see how you do. I know that you said you have tried a lot of jet combinations but consider trying again.
Good luck,
Rich

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home