Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cleaning sticking clutch plates

dreamr
honda305.com Member

Cleaning sticking clutch plates

Post by dreamr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 am

I have a 66 Honda Dream. The clutch plates had been sticking late last year so this April I disassembled the clutch pack to fix the problem. The plates were stuck; I separated them and sprayed them with Gunk, wiped them down and put everything back together. As suggested on this board, I refilled the bike with Napa oil. Since then I haven't been able to ride the bike very much and yesterday when I got it out I found the clutch plates were again stuck--somewhat. I was able to rock the bike and free them so the problem was not nearly as bad as before, but it brings up the question...should I have soaked the plates rather than just wipe them down? If so, what type of cleaning solution should I have soaked them in?
It's a fairly easy job to redo this, but I'd rather do it right this time and hopefully not have to do it again for a while. Thanks.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Cleaning sticking clutch plates

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:11 am

Are the friction made of aluminum core and black friction material?
Did ya wire brush or blast the steel plates.
Did ya install the wires?. ..............lm

dreamr wrote:I have a 66 Honda Dream. The clutch plates had been sticking late last year so this April I disassembled the clutch pack to fix the problem. The plates were stuck; I separated them and sprayed them with Gunk, wiped them down and put everything back together. As suggested on this board, I refilled the bike with Napa oil. Since then I haven't been able to ride the bike very much and yesterday when I got it out I found the clutch plates were again stuck--somewhat. I was able to rock the bike and free them so the problem was not nearly as bad as before, but it brings up the question...should I have soaked the plates rather than just wipe them down? If so, what type of cleaning solution should I have soaked them in?
It's a fairly easy job to redo this, but I'd rather do it right this time and hopefully not have to do it again for a while. Thanks.

dreamr
honda305.com Member

Post by dreamr » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:28 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Are the friction made of aluminum core and black friction material?

dreamr wrote:I have a 66 Honda Dream. The clutch plates had been sticking late last year so this April I disassembled the clutch pack to fix the problem. The plates were stuck; I separated them and sprayed them with Gunk, wiped them down and put everything back together. As suggested on this board, I refilled the bike with Napa oil. Since then I haven't been able to ride the bike very much and yesterday when I got it out I found the clutch plates were again stuck--somewhat. I was able to rock the bike and free them so the problem was not nearly as bad as before, but it brings up the question...should I have soaked the plates rather than just wipe them down? If so, what type of cleaning solution should I have soaked them in?
Obviously the person who gave me the "advice" about how to do this was clueless. There was some residue or corrosion on the metal plates but it wiped right off. Not sure about the aluminum core on the friction plates; they are black but if the core is a center layer that could be seen looking at the plate from a side view, I don't remember seeing it. Thanks for your help.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:03 am

If the material was/is black then ya have the good/best plates.
Ya may want to consider wire brushing/blasting the steel plates.
Did ya install the wires?. ..........lm
dreamr wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Are the friction made of aluminum core and black friction material?

Obviously the person who gave me the "advice" about how to do this was clueless. There was some residue or corrosion on the metal plates but it wiped right off. Not sure about the aluminum core on the friction plates; they are black but if the core is a center layer that could be seen looking at the plate from a side view, I don't remember seeing it. Thanks for your help.

DONZIE
honda305.com Member

Post by DONZIE » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:47 pm

HEY EMO
WHAT DIFFERENCE DO THE WIRES MAKE. I ALWAYS CAN EM
BUT THEN....... MY CLUTCHES ARE ALWAYS STUCK HMMMMMM?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:00 pm

It seems they cause the first 3 plates to come apart a bit better.
In the early 60's we left them out.
Not because they would break (myth) but because when HONDA doubled the thickness of the first steel plate the groves in the clutch center were covered.
HONDA did change the clutch center and we were able to install the wires.
Clutch will work better when they (2) are installed. .............lm

DONZIE wrote:HEY EMO
WHAT DIFFERENCE DO THE WIRES MAKE. I ALWAYS CAN EM
BUT THEN....... MY CLUTCHES ARE ALWAYS STUCK HMMMMMM?

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:04 pm

My clutch plates are stuck every time I get on it to ride.Even after stopping for a little while at the pumps or store to pick up a few things they can be stuck.They come unstuck after a alittle bit by revving engine and I'm good to go.I know you had reworked my clutch for me LM and it does work better than before.JW

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home