Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Help! cl77 carb-Needle Jet Holder position

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
jarl1967
honda305.com Member

Help! cl77 carb-Needle Jet Holder position

Post by jarl1967 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:46 pm

i'm sure this question will prove my novice status...but can someone tell me if the needle jet holder is supposed to be screwed in until it is completely "seated" against the carb? I ask because while attempting to figure out why i am only running on one cylinder (the left one)...i removed the float bowls and low and behold in the problem right side was the holder/slow jet. Somehow it had completely fallen out! Looking at the left side, the holder/jet has still attached but you could see about 1/2" of the threads. Now I don't know if this is how it is supposed to be or if this one was working itself loose as well.

By the way, if anyone felt inclined to suggest other possibilities as to why i can disconnect the right spark plug wire and it doesn't kill the bike, i would be much appreciated. Still learning my way around.

I've attached a couple of pictures for clarification.

jarl
Attachments
look what i found!
look what i found!
Needle Jet Holder/Slow Jet reinstalled correctly?
Needle Jet Holder/Slow Jet reinstalled correctly?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Help! cl77 carb-Needle Jet Holder position

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 pm

YES!
It must be tightened firmly to the base.
Ya DID find the problem "FOR SURE". .........lm
jarl1967 wrote:i'm sure this question will prove my novice status...but can someone tell me if the needle jet holder is supposed to be screwed in until it is completely "seated" against the carb? I ask because while attempting to figure out why i am only running on one cylinder (the left one)...i removed the float bowls and low and behold in the problem right side was the holder/slow jet. Somehow it had completely fallen out! Looking at the left side, the holder/jet has still attached but you could see about 1/2" of the threads. Now I don't know if this is how it is supposed to be or if this one was working itself loose as well.

By the way, if anyone felt inclined to suggest other possibilities as to why i can disconnect the right spark plug wire and it doesn't kill the bike, i would be much appreciated. Still learning my way around.

I've attached a couple of pictures for clarification.

jarl

jarl1967
honda305.com Member

Pics of my Worn out Throttle Valves?

Post by jarl1967 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:07 pm

thanks for response, LOUD MOUSE. nice to know i was on the right track!
And though, I remain a member of the "uninformed novices" ... this forum, and especially your input, allows me to attempt things i couldn't even think of doing....if you can't have a master mechanic in your house...this is still pretty good.

So, i was hoping to put the carbs back together and start riding...but i figured i should take a closer look at the rest of the assembly. I am concerned that both my throttle valves are too worn...looks like there has been a LOT of friction. (I've attached a picture of the valves). New Valves are reasonable...but can you (or anyone else reading this) tell me if i need to bite the bullet and replace both complete carbs?

jarl
Attachments
Pic of my worn out throttle valves?
Pic of my worn out throttle valves?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Pics of my Worn out Throttle Valves?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:32 pm

I'd venture a guess that they have been filed/sanded.
If they don't stick I'd give them a good try. .........lm

jarl1967 wrote:thanks for response, LOUD MOUSE. nice to know i was on the right track!
And though, I remain a member of the "uninformed novices" ... this forum, and especially your input, allows me to attempt things i couldn't even think of doing....if you can't have a master mechanic in your house...this is still pretty good.

So, i was hoping to put the carbs back together and start riding...but i figured i should take a closer look at the rest of the assembly. I am concerned that both my throttle valves are too worn...looks like there has been a LOT of friction. (I've attached a picture of the valves). New Valves are reasonable...but can you (or anyone else reading this) tell me if i need to bite the bullet and replace both complete carbs?

jarl

dux66
honda305.com Member

needle jet holder question

Post by dux66 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Attached are 2 pictures of my needle jet holder. I have been fighting my CB77 for a while now. The Bike starts, idle and for the most part runs great. Above 4500rpm under load or good acceleration the bike hits a wall and starts to sputter and most all power is lost. After trying ever jet combination with no help I was reading this forum on the needle jet holders. As you can see in the picture the needle jet holder is not bottomed out in the carb as it with jarl1967’s. Both the left and right are same. I cannot tighten these any more. Should there be thread left showing? I am running a CB77, #42 slow jets , #135 main jets, with an electronic ING. Timing had been set correctly and have followed Mr. Moore carb recipe step by step. Thank you for your help
Attachments
needle jet holder1.jpg
needle jet holder2.jpg
needle jet holder 3.jpg

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:24 am

Are you using stock, Kehein needles, or aftermarket? What groove on needle is clip in? Are slides in correctly, cutout facing toward air filters? No hoses on bottom of float bowls?

davomoto

dux66
honda305.com Member

needle jet holder

Post by dux66 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks dave
I am using the Needles that came in the keyester carb rebuild kit for cb77 carbs. The clips is on the second notch as per stock specs and the slides are in correctly and i am not running hoses on the bottom of the float bowls. After reading all the fourms that relate to these problems i am still comming to this wall. The bike starts and runs good and can hold 50mph with no problem but if any throttle is given and under quick acceration the bike just sputter and loses all power. The plugs look great. It almost seems like it is flooding out under power. Thanks for the help

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home