□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rear brake adjusment???

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:30 am

I just studied the relevant section in my Honda Shop Manual, preface written January 1960, copyrighted 1971. It appears to cover only the SLS brake systems, and in the specifications tables the wear limit for the rear brake linings is 3mm (2.5mm for front).

The odd thing is that there are pictures in other (frame, front fork) sections throughout the manual showing TLS brakes, but there seems to be no mention of how to sync the cams.

Back to following the ol' intuition!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:03 am

Look at the posts and there will be a punch mark and the levers have a punch mark also.
Install the rod to both levers then line up the punch marks and install the levers.
Install the shoes then adjust the rod so both shoes end is flat to the cam.
I use white grease on the posts and shoes. .................lm

e3steve wrote:I just studied the relevant section in my Honda Shop Manual, preface written January 1960, copyrighted 1971. It appears to cover only the SLS brake systems, and in the specifications tables the wear limit for the rear brake linings is 3mm (2.5mm for front).

The odd thing is that there are pictures in other (frame, front fork) sections throughout the manual showing TLS brakes, but there seems to be no mention of how to sync the cams.

Back to following the ol' intuition!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:16 am

Thanks Ed. Experience wins the day, as usual! I'll follow that when I lace my 'new' hubs to the new rims that I have. I've had the drums honed on a lathe, as my old ones on the bike feel a bit off true (ovalled).

My front brake has taken to locking on when I pull up, so that needs a little tinkering soon. It lets go if I push back a touch, so I suspect that the cam is either in need of lube again or the shoes have worn pretty badly. The back brake works a treat.

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:43 am

Hmm not just me having trouble with the back brake then. I lined up the markings as per LMs instructions but the problem I have is this doesn't leave enough adjustment in the cable I have, the biting point of the rear brake is too far down the travel on the lever. I had to move the main actuator two places clockwise from the post marking, this gave me enough adjustment - just. I've adjusted the rod to suit and it seems to work ok - will have to see when it's out on the road.

The other problem I have is that there's not enough room between the rear mudguard and the frame to allow the brake cable to move freely. Before the mudguard was painted there were marks on it from the same thing - common problem? Any fixes? I'm thinking something like a small piece of tank protector material.

Wilf
honda305.com Member

Post by Wilf » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:12 am

I encountered the same problem with a new rear brake cable from Retrobikes. The protective sleeve is a larger diameter than the original, making for a really tight fit. I ended up pounding the sleeve into position, but I just may cut it away and replace it with a smaller diameter sleeve at some time in the future.

Wilf

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:55 am

HONDA designed the DLS front and rear brakes in such a way that if both levers are indexed to the shafts and the steel end of both shoes are adjusted to flat with the adjustment rod you will have DLS.
If either rod or shoe isn't installed correctly you will have Single Shoe Braking.
As for the cable.
Once it is installed it doesn't move at the finder area.
Even when the bike was new that cable was/is tight at the fender area. .............lm
toastyhamster wrote:Hmm not just me having trouble with the back brake then. I lined up the markings as per LMs instructions but the problem I have is this doesn't leave enough adjustment in the cable I have, the biting point of the rear brake is too far down the travel on the lever. I had to move the main actuator two places clockwise from the post marking, this gave me enough adjustment - just. I've adjusted the rod to suit and it seems to work ok - will have to see when it's out on the road.

The other problem I have is that there's not enough room between the rear mudguard and the frame to allow the brake cable to move freely. Before the mudguard was painted there were marks on it from the same thing - common problem? Any fixes? I'm thinking something like a small piece of tank protector material.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home