Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rear brake adjusment???

SIDECAR77
honda305.com Member

Rear brake adjusment???

Post by SIDECAR77 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:47 am

Hi guys I almost tried every thing to adjust the rear brake to be more responsive seem to have to really have to push to get any response out of the rear brake, and I can't find anything in the bill silver book and the clymer. can any one help thanks

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:02 am

C/CA, CB or CL?

SIDECAR77
honda305.com Member

Post by SIDECAR77 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Sorry, its a 66 cb77 superhawk

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:16 pm

SIDECAR77 wrote:Sorry, its a 66 cb77 superhawk
No apology necessary. Don't do it again!

I'd hazard a guess that the cams are out of sync -- i.e. one shoe's leading end is braking whilst the other is barely making contact with the drum. There's obviously a set procedure, but I got mine just right thus:
  • Drop the back wheel out; clean the brake dust away with a proprietary brake cleaner (wear a dust mask) and inspect the friction material for excessive wear (2.5mm is the low limit)
    Remove the clevis pins on the both ends of the linkage between the cam levers
    Remove and lube the cam spigots, bushes & cams using copper grease, best done with a ½" paint brush; reassemble the brake plate & hub
    Reinstall the wheel (leave the cable and the linkage off for now)
    Operate the main lever (from the cable attachment hoop end) to full travel and observe the angle against an imaginary centreline running through the axle and the cam spigots -- minimum angle at the "pull" side should not be less than 100º at maximum travel of the lever; if the angle is anything like approaching 90º, move the lever c/w a spline or two
    Operate the main lever by gripping the shorter end using a vise-grip -- several wraps of duct tape around each jaw will protect the lever / chrome -- until it makes good, firm contact with the drum; mark the cam spigot boss (where the spline exits the brake plate) and the lever with a pencil to set the travel datum
    Carry out the same operation with the slave lever
    Re-attach the linkage and observe the pencil marks' alignment; adjust the length of the linkage rod until the pencil marks are aligned -- the main and slave levers should be as near parallel as possible. If they aren't, re-spline the slave lever to match the main lever at the point of the brake shoes' friction material's contact with the drum. If this is necessary, then re-mark the slave lever's travel, starting over from the red text.
G'luck!

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Two things I should add:
1. Ed (LM) has just info'd me that there are alignment marks on the brake plate; I didn't use these, but I'll look up, scan & post the Honda method
2. Twin leading shoe brakes are hopeless in a rearward direction

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Not mine. .........lm

e3steve wrote:Two things I should add:
1. Ed (LM) has just info'd me that there are alignment marks on the brake plate; I didn't use these, but I'll look up, scan & post the Honda method
2. Twin leading shoe brakes are hopeless in a rearward direction

SIDECAR77
honda305.com Member

Post by SIDECAR77 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks I'm going to try that and i'll get back to you thanks again

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home