Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

no gears except first and neutral...

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
nander
honda305.com Member

Post by nander » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:57 pm

While reassembling the clutch etc. I overtightened one of the bolts that holds the clutch springs in place. Popped the head right off. Waited weeks for a new part.

The part has arrived and I am back where I left off - reassembling the gear stopper, stopper arm, clutch etc.

Having put the whole deal back together, and then taken it apart again now 6 or 7 times - I just can't seem to get the damn gear shift mechanism to work. With everything assembled I can sort of clunk up and down when I step on the gearshift pedal, but the back wheel just spins - no gear engagement and no tension on the kickstarter.

It seems to me that the gear stopper arm keeps riding up over the end of the gearshift drum so that it's wheel no longer sits in the little crescent cutouts on the drum. Instead, the end of the arm on to which the stopper wheel is mounted winds up in those little crescents. I hope the photos help explain what I am getting at. The first shows the wheel in said crescent, the second shows where it winds up.

Having not seen how the thing fit together before it came apart, I'm a little in the dark here about the exact fitment of the stopper guide and the drum.

Also, there is a certain amount of play (maybe 1mm or 2mm) in the end of the gearshift drum when I push on it. Not sure if that's normal either. But, it contributes to the slip of the stopper wheel.

Can anyone tell me what I'm botching here?

Thanks,

nander
Attachments
wheel in the cutout on the gearshift drum.
wheel in the cutout on the gearshift drum.
wheel popped out of the cutout in the gearshift drum.
wheel popped out of the cutout in the gearshift drum.

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Are you spinning the wheel as you try to shift? They don't like to shift unless something is turning. Either the engine running, or the rear wheel spinning.

davomoto

nander
honda305.com Member

Post by nander » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks Davo,

No. I haven't tried spinning the rear wheel while shifting. I'll bolt everything together again and see if I can get some assistance in spinning the rear wheel by hand. I'm loathe to fill it with oil to start the motor in case I have to take it all apart again.

Does the stopper guide wheel sit securely in those cutouts on the drum at all times, or is there some lateral movement that makes it pop in and out of alignment with the drum during normal operation?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:15 pm

You have installed the shift drum keeper from the wrong side of the drum and the drum and keeper aren't going to last long unless you install it from the top of the case side of the drum. ...........lm

nander wrote:While reassembling the clutch etc. I overtightened one of the bolts that holds the clutch springs in place. Popped the head right off. Waited weeks for a new part.

The part has arrived and I am back where I left off - reassembling the gear stopper, stopper arm, clutch etc.

Having put the whole deal back together, and then taken it apart again now 6 or 7 times - I just can't seem to get the damn gear shift mechanism to work. With everything assembled I can sort of clunk up and down when I step on the gearshift pedal, but the back wheel just spins - no gear engagement and no tension on the kickstarter.

It seems to me that the gear stopper arm keeps riding up over the end of the gearshift drum so that it's wheel no longer sits in the little crescent cutouts on the drum. Instead, the end of the arm on to which the stopper wheel is mounted winds up in those little crescents. I hope the photos help explain what I am getting at. The first shows the wheel in said crescent, the second shows where it winds up.

Having not seen how the thing fit together before it came apart, I'm a little in the dark here about the exact fitment of the stopper guide and the drum.

Also, there is a certain amount of play (maybe 1mm or 2mm) in the end of the gearshift drum when I push on it. Not sure if that's normal either. But, it contributes to the slip of the stopper wheel.

Can anyone tell me what I'm botching here?

Thanks,

nander

nander
honda305.com Member

Post by nander » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:34 pm

Aha!
So, I need to spin the drum about 180 degrees from where it is?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Good eye Ed! I missed that. The drum keeper goes on from the top.

davomoto

nander
honda305.com Member

Post by nander » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 pm

As far as I can tell I've mimicked the setup in this pic I found on a post entitled "set up right" by bmarshall629 (search for "shift arm"):
http://www.honda305.com/forums/download.php?id=1606

I spun the end of the drum around and arrived at what is pictured below.

How are we looking at this point?
Attachments
stopper-03.jpg

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home