□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1962 Superhawk Restoration: Here I go

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:29 am

Here's the tank with the covers, rubbers, and badges assembled. I still need to run some MEK through it to clear out a plug in the fuel line from the old Kreem lining (hate that stuff). I'll also run some muriatic acid through it clear out the flash rusting.

Gonna have to be careful on it. I got the smallest drip of carb cleaner on (a discreet spot), which wrecked havoc on the finish. Powder coating making be strong, but it isn't invisible.

The chrome has a decent amount of scratches in it, that become clear in the light. More of a swirl to it all. I'm gonna look into seeing if there's a way to help alleviate this short of re-chroming. Things are looking good otherwise.

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

very nice

Post by jleewebb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:16 am

Cool, you're getting to the fun part of seeing it all come together...really enjoying keeping up with your progress. Thanks, Lee
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: swingarm bushings?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:23 am

DID THE BUSHING GET DAMAGED?. ...............lm

Spargett wrote:Only the small rubber swingarm bushings in the rear were not removed before painting. Small oversight.
eyhonda wrote:Are the bushings plastic or metal? On my old cb400f, they were plastic and were prone to warping. I had a friend machine a duplicate set in brass. Whatever the case, they should have been removed prior to powdercoating. Same thing for the lower shock bushings. Were these pressed out prior? If so, order up a set of new ones from your favorite NOS store (David Silver Spares) and press them back in.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Re: swingarm bushings?

Post by Spargett » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Yeah, I believe so. I went ahead and ordered new ones just to be safe.
LOUD MOUSE wrote:DID THE BUSHING GET DAMAGED?. ...............lm

eyhonda
honda305.com Member

bushings

Post by eyhonda » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 am

I'm sure they were. The high heat will make the rubber hard & brittle. Do you have a press? They are valuable during a rebuild. Even a manual benchtop works great. Harbor Freight should have small hydraulics ones too. Awesome process! Thanks for recording it all!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:02 am

No, I don't have a press. Looks like I'll prob have to get one. I've never used one before. This is pretty much my first time for everything, so I'm still learning alot.
eyhonda wrote:I'm sure they were. The high heat will make the rubber hard & brittle. Do you have a press? They are valuable during a rebuild. Even a manual benchtop works great. Harbor Freight should have small hydraulics ones too. Awesome process! Thanks for recording it all!

Spargett
honda305.com Member

Post by Spargett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:18 am

So I was reassembling the engine today. I couldn't remember the exact order of the nuts on the starter terminal.

Based on this illustration (taken from the clymer manual), this was how I reassembled. Though I have a feeling this was wrong. I couldn't find any photos online of other people's or, a clear shot in my own. Hoping someone could help me out.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home