Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My "new" '64 CA77

jarz21
honda305.com Member

My "new" '64 CA77

Post by jarz21 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:26 pm

Hi, I just recently got a '64 Dream 305. It's not currently running, but seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to get going again. One of my main problems, though, is that it seems to be missing the air filter. I was curious if anyone has had any success with aftermarket cone filters, like a K&amp;N. Also, does anyone know off hand what the diameter of the intake hole on the carb is? I'm currently at school and very far from my bike right now. If I can't find a stock filter, I'll have to try adapting a cone filter with some sort of extension to reach the carb. I'm also missing the air filter cover, top battery bracket, battery ground strap, and battery cover. The battery bracket and ground I suppose can be fabricated, but so far Ebay has not been any help for finding ANY of these parts. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for hearing me out!<br /><br />Kevin in PA

RJag
honda305.com Member

Re: My "new" '64 CA77

Post by RJag » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:54 am

Hey Kevin,<br /><br />Are you missing the Rubber boot that hooks between air filter and carb? Or just the filter?. <br /><br />On my '65 I found that they want a decent chunk of change for the rubber boot... more than I was willing to spend (80 - 95$). I went down to my local hardware store and got a radiator hose 2&quot; and two rubber adapters (The carb body is 1 1/4&quot; and the filter is 2&quot; (Cost me around 8$). Another thought if you have someone patient at an auto parts store, some of the old international pickups used a tapered radiator hose that went from 1 1/4&quot; to 2&quot; If someone would look that up for you it would look better than the reduced hose... however since you have both carb covers I doubt anyone would ever see it. Since the mice had been living in the airbox for years the filter had been reduced to bedding. Pretty much any filter that will fit in your airbox will work as long as it is made to fit to a 2&quot; hose. I have heard others refering to the Green weenie, that is a 2&quot; O.D. spring with an oiled green foam filter that covers it they are very cheap. As long as you have room you should be able to put in a paper filter with no problems. <br /><br />I am making due with a bungie to hold the battery down.. as the top strap is gone on mine also. The battery ground strap on mine was eaten up.. I used some 08 gauge wire and soldered it into the bottom clip, and crimped on a lug on the battery end and I was good to go.<br /><br />I have seen the side covers on ebay, I guess you will just have to be patient and wait till a set comes up for sale, or maybe someone on here has an extra they will sell you.<br /><br />Good luck<br />Rick<br /><br />P.S.<br />If your bike has been sitting a long time it may be good to use some marvel's penetrating oil in the cylnders and head and let it sit a while before you start it up/kick it over. (See the posts for the previous topic)<br />

jarz21
honda305.com Member

Re: My "new" '64 CA77

Post by jarz21 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:35 pm

Thanks for the reply! It seems I do still have the black rubber carb-to-filter connector. I just noticed that there's a NOS air filter on Ebay, but odds are that will end up going for a pretty penny. I've seen the main battery cover on ebay before, but I'm not sure I've seen the inner air filter cover. Hopefully I can find an air filter that can adapt to the 2&quot; tube.<br /><br />The engine does turn over. The previous owner was careful when he tried kicking it over. He put oil into the cylinder and gently rocked it to see if it was free or not. The engine seems to have good compression (though I haven't gotten a compression tester on it yet).<br /><br />Hopefully someone has a few extra parts, otherwise I suppose I'll be watching Ebay like a hawk with no money!<br /><br />Kevin in PA

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home