Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CB72

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:44 am

Yeh of course, part of my reason for posting here is to pick up tips.

Not going for a 100% original look, and the engine is only loosely bolted in - so feel free to tell me some of the bolts are the wrong way round :-)

Probably not much more will be done for a month or so while we move house.

Seat is being recovered (no chrome trim, but it will have the grab strap and the Honda emblem). Most of the rest of the stuff is done, carbs vapour blasted etc, just time I don't have to put it together.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:58 am

Badges are reversed, crank nut installed "wrong side in", passenger pegs are on wrong sides (ya will see a R or L on them). Front top head bolt installed from wrong side. Rear brake (short) installed wrong side out..?? Are the brake levers indexed to the posts and shoes flat to the posts?. .............lm

toastyhamster wrote:Yeh of course, part of my reason for posting here is to pick up tips.

Not going for a 100% original look, and the engine is only loosely bolted in - so feel free to tell me some of the bolts are the wrong way round :-)

Probably not much more will be done for a month or so while we move house.

Seat is being recovered (no chrome trim, but it will have the grab strap and the Honda emblem). Most of the rest of the stuff is done, carbs vapour blasted etc, just time I don't have to put it together.
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks for the info.

Badges I can fix easily, crank nut I've not disturbed as I've not messed with the bottom end at all, passenger pegs easy fix, top head bolt easy fix (thought that was wrong way round as I remembered the earth strap fitted the bolt head).

Not sure what you mean with the rear brake linkage. Any tips there appreciated as this is my first attempt at drum brakes, too used to disks with my other restos. I went by previous photographs to put the linkages on, so if there's a recommended way of fitting them and adjusting them correctly please let me know as I've no real faith that it was all set up correctly to start with - it had 20 years of abuse before it sat for another 24 before I rescued it - so who knows what got messed with in that time.

Edit: I've checked the footpegs and they are labelled L and R but they are on the right sides, the one marked R is on the points side and the one marked L is on the clutch side. Fixed the badges and the top bolt.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:18 am

Just remembered your reply.
Thanks for the peg info.
I'd say they are one notch low. ..........lm
toastyhamster wrote:Thanks for the info.

Badges I can fix easily, crank nut I've not disturbed as I've not messed with the bottom end at all, passenger pegs easy fix, top head bolt easy fix (thought that was wrong way round as I remembered the earth strap fitted the bolt head).

Not sure what you mean with the rear brake linkage. Any tips there appreciated as this is my first attempt at drum brakes, too used to disks with my other restos. I went by previous photographs to put the linkages on, so if there's a recommended way of fitting them and adjusting them correctly please let me know as I've no real faith that it was all set up correctly to start with - it had 20 years of abuse before it sat for another 24 before I rescued it - so who knows what got messed with in that time.

Edit: I've checked the footpegs and they are labelled L and R but they are on the right sides, the one marked R is on the points side and the one marked L is on the clutch side. Fixed the badges and the top bolt.

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Fri May 01, 2009 4:45 am

Thanks, will sort that next time I'm in the garage.

Have got the seat back and it looks smart (no chrome trim unfortunately) now it's been powder coated and recovered. Chromer has promised to post my fork shrouds and speedo piece next week so I might just have time to put the forks and mudguard on properly before we move house, which will be handy as I think it will be safer on the bike than in a box.

Classic Jap show at Donington Park tomorrow, so will see what goodies I can pick up.

toastyhamster
honda305.com Member

Post by toastyhamster » Fri May 29, 2009 7:50 am

http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/IMG_2770.jpg
http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/IMG_2771.jpg
http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/IMG_2772.jpg
http://www.toastyhamster.plus.com/IMG_2773.jpg

Quite a bit gone on recently, mainly as house move is being delayed.

Most of the electrics are sorted - although as I got everything working the headlamp holder wires broke so I need a new one, also won't be testing charging until it's running. Can somebody confirm whether the rear light is not switched on with the headlight and is only a parking/brake light? Engine spins over ok on the starter which is a bit of a relief after my first four stroke head rebuild.
Need a replacement clutch cover (which is why it's not painted in the pics) and the bloody chromers are not answering their phone and still have my fork shrouds and speedo cover. Marque Restore in Coventry *AVOID*

Throttle cable bought from ebay doesn't allow the slides to close fully so rather than bodge a throttle cable I'm getting a replacement. Also need rear brake cable and a few other bits which I should have in the next few days. Also suspect I might have the wrong kickstart shaft as the swivel head turns through 180 degrees and doesn't stop in any position that you could use it in. Front brake works but hasn't been adjusted or the cable routed properly.

As ever - welcome comments etc.

Loudo
honda305.com Member

taillight with headlight...yes

Post by Loudo » Fri May 29, 2009 10:25 am

My '63 CB77 taillight lights up when the headlight is on. I don't have a setting where the headlight can be turned on without the taillight.

Before you give up on that new throttle cable, have you tried making it work with all the adjusting points (at the throttle grip and carb tops) fully receded? I had the same problem which was exasperating because with the low bars if the cable's too short, which bike could such a cable be possibly made for? The racing model, I'm told. In any event, I was able to make mine work through efficient cable routing and monkeying with the adjustment points. It's worth a shot, but maybe you've already done this.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home