Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

The Never Ending Refurbishing of a Dream

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
clarenceada
honda305.com Member

The Never Ending Refurbishing of a Dream

Post by clarenceada » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:27 am

Started to just paint my 68 305 Dream but after all the trouble of getting it apart and getting it painted I now plan to do a little more and fix the rest of it; so I decided to start a new topic here as well as the one in paint.

The bike belonged to a lady in Coos Bay Or. and she told me It was her sons bike that she had bought for him in the fall of 68 and he drove the summer of 69 then went into the army and never came back to get it, so it sat in her garage till I bought it in 94. It had pretty bad surface rust from the damp, cold Oregon winters; but I put a battery in it and cleaned the carb and it started right up and ran great, every summer till last year I would put a few miles on it and spray it down with wd40 in the winter time. But she always was the old rusty bike in the corner that my kids would try to get me to sell. Many a times, especially when we moved after I retired , I was tempted to sell it but nobody would come up with $800 that I thought it was worth, glad of that now. Now I'm down to just the dream and a nice 79 XR185 that I crash around the local dunes. I have been riding since '63 and was riding my cousins Sears allstate 250 (a kind of strange two piston one combustion chamber two-stroke called "the twingle") one summer in '64 when this guy came up behind me on the highway and blew past me on this white gleaming bike. I finally caught up to him in town (the Sears was slow) I saw my first Honda Dream; which seemed to glow in the sun compared to the nasty smelling (it smoked like it was on fire; I think my cousin mixed the two-stroke gas a little heavy) oily, sears. I always wanted a Dream but I grew up in northern Minnesota and the girls where much more inclined to go the movies with you if you had a nice warm car to take them in. After I moved to Oregon I stated riding off-road bikes with an occasional street bike I kept my eye open for a Dream till I got this one.

Here's some pictures my daughter-in-law took for me, of the dismantling of the Dream.
Clarence
Attachments
almost hate to take her apart!
almost hate to take her apart!
hanging it from the rafters
hanging it from the rafters
engines out, a difficult extraction.
engines out, a difficult extraction.
Last edited by clarenceada on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scram64
honda305.com Member

Refuribishing a dream

Post by Scram64 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Clarence, I bought a similar blue 69 Dream from Coos Bay/ Coquille a few months ago. It had 444 miles on it and is in similar condition. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. scram64

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:33 am

hay Scram, I meant to ask you in the pm but was that dream advertised in the Shopper; I was wondering how it got past me! 444 miles, it must be in good mechanical condition. Where's the pictures. I have been asking a lot of questions in other forums here, has been a great help.
Thanks
Clarence

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

68 dream dismantaling

Post by clarenceada » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:59 am

Some more pictures of taking the Dream apart.
Attachments
no motorcycle hoist so I hang it.
no motorcycle hoist so I hang it.
looks prehistoric!
looks prehistoric!

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:00 pm

This is the original license plate and it has tears from the top bolt holes. I would like to keep this plate the color matches the original paint on the bike; it's made out of aluminum just don't know how to repair it. Can it be welded?
clarence
Attachments
S5300194.JPG
S5300193.JPG

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:12 pm

Front brake looks good, rims is shot, tire hard as a rock, must be original.
Attachments
S5300215.JPG

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Rear wheel, more of the same; good brakes, bad rim, the chrome is peeling off in big chunks. how bad can a rim be and still be able to chrome it?
Attachments
S5300266.JPG
S5300267.JPG

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home