Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Hello- new 305 guy here

03zx6r
honda305.com Member

Hello- new 305 guy here

Post by 03zx6r » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi everyone. I'm 32 and just picked up my dad's 305 Scrambler (CL77 model I believe) over Labor Day weekend. It hasn't been running for 30+- a few and he asked if I was interested since he doesn't have the time. I loaded it on my truck, took it an hour away to my home and worked on it the last couple days... cleaning the carbs, points, petcock, plugs and tank. The tank- oh my what a mess! Anyway my wife thought I was crazy and wasting my time and I don't know why, but I really like it. And she couldn't believe it, but after a few long hours and a new battery I got it started.<br /><br />I ran it around the backyard with my two boys, ages 2 and 7, with flat tires and all but they loved it.. much more than my '03 ninja sportbike. It appears I'm only running on one piston right now though, which makes me nervous about possibly blowing the engine. I believe the problem may be with the left spark plug wire- as the cable was off the plug connector entirely at my dad's house. We pushed it back in but while the engine runs with the air filters off, there is gasoline buildup on the black rubber air intake boot. That makes me nervous to!!<br /><br />I've ordered a couple manuals off ebay and just found this site today when searching google for &quot;NGK D8HS&quot; plugs. But I'm running into deadends trying to find a few parts and it's rather frustrating.<br /><br />1) Front and rear tires with tubes (he has a 3.00-19 front and 4.00-19 on the back, but told me he thinks stock was 3.00 on both front/rear). I'm simply having a hard time finding a 19&quot; tire period. Is there a conversion chart around to use for up-to-date tire sizes?<br /><br />2) The NGK D8HS plugs. They appear to be discontinued, but a few posts I've read on here recommend only using the exact replacement. Where can you get some..if you can?<br /><br />3) Clutch plates.. I may be out of luck finding reasonably priced parts for such an old bike. I was referred to ohiocyles.com but they look a bit expensive for even used parts. And I'm guessing it needs a new clutch. The lever pulls in whats appears to be fully, but when placing it in 1st it stalls the engine as if the clutch lever was not engaged at all. In order to ride around the yard I have to push the 77 (difficult with flat tires, but possible) and then pop it in first.<br /><br />A couple other questions-<br /><br />The tailight quit working while I was cleaning parts/replacing the battery. I discovered the rear brake tailight swith was pushed in and stuck in that position. I removed it, soaked it in clean engine oil and it's working good now. After reinstalling however, it only comes on when the headlight swith is turned to the far left and key is turned to the far right. I'm sorry, but the key even has three positions..left, center and right. Can anyone tell me if left is OFF, center is RUN and right is ACC? I'm assuming that's correct as the bike only starts in center position, but that trial and error took forever and I still can't figure out if the taillight wiring or even headlight wiring for that matter is screwed up. (btw- I haven't messed with it at all other than the brake tailight switch).<br /><br />And what in the world is that key hole for that's directly under the headlight housing? It's wired to absolutely nothing.<br /><br />Thanks for anyone's input and my apologies for rambling on. I'm really glad I found the site though- I read up on the &quot;Snuff or Not&quot; and would like to purchase one of those along with perhaps the e-Ignition someday if I can get it running better as it is now.<br /><br />Trent (west maryland)

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Re: Hello- new 305 guy here

Post by ryan_siefrin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:35 pm

hi, and welcome to the forum. lol, yeah i get more looks on my CA77 than i do on my sprot bike too. <br /><br />good luck with all your problems, like you said Ohiocycle.com is quite expensive, but hey sometimes they are the only place you can find the part and they know it.
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:07 pm

Hi new guy, Ther are lots of resources for the stuff you need! Iv'e bought tires thru J.C. whitney on line. The brake switch and clutch discs you need are avail on e-bay. The way you describe the it -it does need new discs(sitting around does that to them). The DH8A plugs are discontinued but I still see them on e-bay too. You have the key switch figured right, L.=off center=on r.= parking light(tail light) . The key hole under the lamp is the fork lock,turn the forks all the way left(I think)then push and turn the lock. The electronic ign is said to be the way to go,I recomend it. The manuals are worth their weight in gold. I think youv'e got a good start. And how could it be any more fun when you got two boys to help???? Good Luck, Steve Greer

kl
honda305.com Member

Post by kl » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:37 pm

hang on in there my friend.the bike is worth carrying on with.you are lucky being in usa.i am in england with a cl 77 to restore.we never got the model.i know of only 5 over here(so there are prob.less than 20!)all my parts have to come 5-6 k miles from usa-i am sticking it out for parts though as thay ARE available....it just takes a while to source them so do not be in a rush.kl
keith laycock

jcensky
honda305.com Member

Post by jcensky » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:39 pm

Sounds like a great project!!<br /><br />I just replaced 40 year old tires on my 66 cl77. Take a look at domiracer.com.....they have the tires and sizes you need. I had 3.00 x19 on the front and 3.25 x19 on the back. They have several to choose from. I was getting frustrated trying to find a matched set locally. I put them on today and they look great!<br /><br />JOHN

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:53 am

What are the frame and engine numbers of your bike?<br />The plugs are available at some bike shops. I have a good supply here also. To tune the timing of the points you may want to look at the FAQ to the left of this site and look for timing info. What tread do your new have. Rib or Universal? If you ever think you need help with the CL77 please get in touch with me and I'll do my best to help. ............LM<br /><br /><br /><br />
03zx6r wrote:<br />Hi everyone. I'm 32 and just picked up my dad's 305 Scrambler (CL77 model I believe) over Labor Day weekend. It hasn't been running for 30+- a few and he asked if I was interested since he doesn't have the time. I loaded it on my truck, took it an hour away to my home and worked on it the last couple days... cleaning the carbs, points, petcock, plugs and tank. The tank- oh my what a mess! Anyway my wife thought I was crazy and wasting my time and I don't know why, but I really like it. And she couldn't believe it, but after a few long hours and a new battery I got it started.<br /><br />I ran it around the backyard with my two boys, ages 2 and 7, with flat tires and all but they loved it.. much more than my '03 ninja sportbike. It appears I'm only running on one piston right now though, which makes me nervous about possibly blowing the engine. I believe the problem may be with the left spark plug wire- as the cable was off the plug connector entirely at my dad's house. We pushed it back in but while the engine runs with the air filters off, there is gasoline buildup on the black rubber air intake boot. That makes me nervous to!!<br /><br />I've ordered a couple manuals off ebay and just found this site today when searching google for &quot;NGK D8HS&quot; plugs. But I'm running into deadends trying to find a few parts and it's rather frustrating.<br /><br />1) Front and rear tires with tubes (he has a 3.00-19 front and 4.00-19 on the back, but told me he thinks stock was 3.00 on both front/rear). I'm simply having a hard time finding a 19&quot; tire period. Is there a conversion chart around to use for up-to-date tire sizes?<br /><br />2) The NGK D8HS plugs. They appear to be discontinued, but a few posts I've read on here recommend only using the exact replacement. Where can you get some..if you can?<br /><br />3) Clutch plates.. I may be out of luck finding reasonably priced parts for such an old bike. I was referred to ohiocyles.com but they look a bit expensive for even used parts. And I'm guessing it needs a new clutch. The lever pulls in whats appears to be fully, but when placing it in 1st it stalls the engine as if the clutch lever was not engaged at all. In order to ride around the yard I have to push the 77 (difficult with flat tires, but possible) and then pop it in first.<br /><br />A couple other questions-<br /><br />The tailight quit working while I was cleaning parts/replacing the battery. I discovered the rear brake tailight swith was pushed in and stuck in that position. I removed it, soaked it in clean engine oil and it's working good now. After reinstalling however, it only comes on when the headlight swith is turned to the far left and key is turned to the far right. I'm sorry, but the key even has three positions..left, center and right. Can anyone tell me if left is OFF, center is RUN and right is ACC? I'm assuming that's correct as the bike only starts in center position, but that trial and error took forever and I still can't figure out if the taillight wiring or even headlight wiring for that matter is screwed up. (btw- I haven't messed with it at all other than the brake tailight switch).<br /><br />And what in the world is that key hole for that's directly under the headlight housing? It's wired to absolutely nothing.<br /><br />Thanks for anyone's input and my apologies for rambling on. I'm really glad I found the site though- I read up on the &quot;Snuff or Not&quot; and would like to purchase one of those along with perhaps the e-Ignition someday if I can get it running better as it is now.<br /><br />Trent (west maryland)<br />
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

03zx6r
honda305.com Member

Post by 03zx6r » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies and everyone's advice! Sorry I disappeared for a while but ran into some personal issues and that threw me off the grid. Things are back to normal so I started back up working on the CL again.

A gentleman from this site actually contacted me through email and started giving me helpful tips in getting both cyclinders to fire. We've been in touch ever since and have become good friends. He's led me the right way and I'm very thankful in having met him. With him, you all and the manuals what seemed like an overwhelming venture has turned into an extremely fun side project. But soley thanks to him both cylinders are firing like a charm now, and better yet with little to no extra expense.

Now I have the tires and tubes to install (the tires are now on hand but ordering inner tubes yet), clutch plates need ordered, and carbs to adjust simply to get the idle speed right. Not too far to go!

Things are coming along great. I appreciate all the advice from fork lock to offering me spark plugs if I provide engine code. It's great to see such a group of fine gentlemen out there willing to help.

Kind regards, Trent

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home