Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

66 250 Honda Dream

rammed
honda305.com Member

66 250 Honda Dream

Post by rammed » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:17 pm

Hello, I am new here and I was just wanting to get some info on a 250 Dream my grandfather gave me. A little story to this unit is in order first. My pap bought this bike new in 67 as a left over, he just cant ride a bike. So the dealer rode it home for him and he gave it to his son who rode it 26 miles, for a grand total of 30 miles on the bike. It was parked in late 67 and has daylight twice since then. Everything is original, including the air in the tires. I am a bike mechanic by trade, have been since 93 so I am familiar with bikes just not antiques like this one. Now for my question, should I get this bike running and ride it, should I leave it alone, should I replace things to get it running, or should I try to save everything I can. The cables are froze which I can try to oil, the battery is junk, etc. I am just not sure of what to do with this unit, or is it not worth the time to do any thing at all.

RJag
honda305.com Member

Re: 66 250 Honda Dream

Post by RJag » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:42 am

R,<br /><br />Welcome to the forum!<br /><br />These bikes are a lot of fun to cruise around on. In your shoes I would at least get the bike running well. On ebay motors you can get cable sets and with some checking you can hit Ohiocycle.com and get stock parts for these bikes.<br /><br />Of Course the opinion you will run into here is probably going to favor is to come join the party and add a dream to your collection... of course you could always do some tuning, clean it up and with the low mile count probably make a decent chunk of change by selling it.<br /><br />I don't know where in the country you are... I am out west in Idaho so it is pretty dry here, but the guys back east have a lot of trouble with moisture in the engine freezing up the pistons and other engine parts... <br /><br />So if it has seen much moisture pull the plugs and the caps on the head and use a penetrating oil like marvel's mystery oil and leave it in the cylnder and head for as long as you can stand to.<br /><br />In your place I would Ride it !<br /><br />Rick

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Post by Pigeonalley » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:43 am

Ram,<br /><br /> Welcome, The CA72 (250 Dream) is far less common then the CA77(305 Dream) At least here in the States. Was told that there was less then $75 difference in the SRP so most opted for the extra power.<br /> Rick was right about the Marvels in the cylinders. Do that and you will be shocked how little it will take to be on the road. These bikes were built like tanks.<br /> Save as much as you can. The prices for parts are going through the roof! <br /><br /> We would all love to see a New 66 Dream with less then 100 miles on it!<br /><br /> If I can be of any help feel free to email me. You can find my email on my profile<br /><br />Rob<br />
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

rammed
honda305.com Member

Post by rammed » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:37 pm

I will try to get a decent pic of the bike but it is in the back of the garage. The bike has been in my grandfathers basement so I dont have to worry about moisture in the engine and now its in my garage and it is always about 65 degrees in there and dry. The engine spins over, always has, as when I was younger I played on the bike and kicked it over plenty of times. Oh ya, Im in PA if anyone is from around Pittsburgh let me know.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home